Unanswered: Postgres and CFMX - ElimiDate or LoveConnection?

does anyone out there have much experience w/ CFML and PostgreSQL?

i'm on the horizon of some advanced database stuff, and using coldfusion-- i just don't like MS Access (surprised??)... so, i'd appreciate any help you could lend... (oh, and i'm real familar w/ MySQL, but i don't think the director is going to allow me to use that... but PostGres.. maybe! )

thanks so much! perhaps later i'll be back to talk about some issues w/ attempting to create a database w/ modularity to accept different reporting formats-- w/out becoming different tables.. and w/out growing horribly inefficient... (hence, my PostGres intrest... i'm hoping its power and versatility might enable me to do some stuff i might not otherwise have considered)

thanks again.
    NCR's, Unicode and the Digital Rosetta Stone

does THIS help...
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

it looks like great information. thanks for pointing it out!
    in the meantime since my first post here, i found this resource:
    http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.p...61#post4542861

which i posted so everyone could see-- i believe in the PostgreSQL forum

but, most importantly of all-- when i proposed the idea of trading MS Access in for PostgreSQL, i was met w/ basic dismissal that from Access, MS SQL would be the obvious upgrade, and we don't want to get that complicated as this is just going to be ... blah, blah, bullshitescavitch .
    we're talking about the same guy, however, who i recently learned, when asking if my tables looked normalized, he asked, "what do you mean by normalization? what are all of these id's doing everywhere?" as he proceeded to create bizarre 'subset' (?) queries from his "db" w/ MS Access which surely would be nearly impossible to recreate w/ those denormalized data anomalies by use of cfml, or any other language i might use for programming a web application. ah, but i digress...
    Last edited by ColdFuse; 05-06-06 at 20:41.

It is always hard to work for someone who knows less than you, especially if this person doesn't think so. Regarding the upgrade, MS SQL is not a logical upgrade from Access. They are very different animals, and MS SQL moves you into the client-server SQL database arena. MS SQL and PostgreSQL are more alike than Access and MS SQL are! I also believe there are migration tools from Access to PostgreSQL, so no problem there. Finally, I believe Microsoft is going to stop supporting Access - what if they do the same for MS SQL? What about cross-platform compatibility - or even cross-Windows version incompatibility (Microsoft is rather famous for this). And then there's cost!

thanks for the reply, BR52! couple things here i would like to respond to...

your first sentence-- quiet true, although fortunately, i do have a lot of respect and admiration for this guy, but admittedly, i've been surprised similarly on other occasions w/ tech / server / prog language / even basic google... anyway...

the extent of my MS SQL knowledge is such: i installed it on my system about a year ago for the purpose of working w/ some .net stuff... never really got around to truly working with it, but felt around in there a bit, maybe made some db's but no queries or apps-- the same time at which i was toying w/ then Beta version of MS Visual Web Dev Express-- which oddly enough seems to create db's (based on MS SQL?) and assigns them to different ports on the fly-- an abstraction layer beyond what i wanted to further study. MS Virt Web Dev Express (beta) seemed to speak the same language (terminology, and maybe even some syntax stuff if i recall) as that which i saw in the fractional MS SQL experience i've had-- but in both cases of the MS Web Dev and MS SQL, i perceived it to be at points unfamiliar, strange stuff compared with terms and things i know from MySQL or even Access, stuff just from reading about definition of a Database (such as peripheral stuff from Cobb's theory etc), and the little i do know of PostgreSQL, etc.. All of that is not to say that i doubt the power and usability of MS SQL, but merely that it seems to be different-- and (i really know little... sorry) i've even read where it's been compared to Oracle and the other big one (is it 'DB2'?) in terms of Enterprise use, etc., so from that, i tend to think that perhaps what i've worked with are maybe the "toys" of the breed? ugh! so much to study, so little time! (sorry that was so lengthy!)

as far as migration goes, that would not be an issue-- there isn't a db yet for the new project (hence my tweaking and normalizing the tables 'currently')-- so that's why i suggested PostgreSQL, because of the power which is raved, and from digging around in myPGadmin-- (the phpMyAdmin thing for Postgres ... that name doesn't sound right to me...) i recall it looking like the STUFF!
    so, i'm not in opposition, yet it sucks that i am not comfortable in stressing the point, so i'm just going to grin and bear it and make the best of the situation.

Here's a tutorial that I wrote a while back on database design & normalization.

Point him to it.
    Last edited by loquin; 05-08-06 at 19:05.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert