Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Unanswered: Simple but Annoying MS ACCESS problem

Hi Guys

I'm new here and this is my first question. I am building a database for a university project it is due in in 5 hours lol. Well the problem is i have about 4 forms and 4 tables ( quite a simple database) The problem is when i try to enter or use the drop down box on my form it comes up with the error :

The changes you requested to the table were not successful because they would create duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship. (Error 3022)

I think it is something to do with my relationships i have tried alot of experimenting but i cannot work this out, if anyone could please help it would be highly appreciated. I have uploaded the database so anyone can have a closer look at whats wrong.

I have msn ( craigydoolan@hotmail.com)
    Or you can reply here

Thanks again sooooo much if anyone can help!!!

Craig
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nothing like waiting till the last minute...

Is this all access, or access data project with sql server?

Not that it's going to buy you alot...most people here don't do homework.

Pat's been know to help though...Rudy too I beleive.
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

couple of points

first, we don't generally do homework -- instead, we can give you general guidelines to specific questions, but uploading your database isn't very specific

second, the fact that it's so close to deadline is irrelevant -- as the old saying goes ...
    failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part
    third, why would you post an access question in the sql server forum and not the access forum? i'm going to move the thread over there for you
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Oh sorry!! i thought it was actually the same thing sorry about that and yeah its my burden and im probly going to fail i jsut thought i cud get it done i dont want someone to do it for me i just need guidelines as to what would cause the error as ive been testing and getting annoyed for the last 4-5 hours

Thanks so much guys.

okay, couple hours left, i can maybe try to walk you through it

in your own words, what do you think causes an error message like "because they would create duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship."
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Yay! Well it means theres 2 values that are conflicting i guess lol but its so hard to find which ive tried changing alot and it does nothing

Here's a little help

I didn't look at everything, just the tables and relationships. I attached some recommendations on the table structure to hopefully lead you in the right direction. This was a very quick look though and I didn't look at what the app fully does.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Quote Originally Posted by Nillskill
    Yay! Well it means theres 2 values that are conflicting i guess lol but its so hard to find which ive tried changing alot and it does nothing
    what did you change?

hint: the error message occurs on a query, and that query is trying to insert or update a new value

you must know which query gave the error, right?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Umm nah it just said duplicate in primary key or index value im very confused and thanks so much for the help so far!

when did it just say "duplicate in primary key or index value"?

when you opened the database? when you designed the table? when you saved the query?

hint: when you ran the query

what is the query that gave the error?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Opps, sorry i probly sound a little confusing, the error occured when i choose a product from a dropdown box. It works fine and the other values update but then i click away from it or try to leave the form and the error occurs.. so it must be the product dropdown box that is causing it! but i have no idea why

Can anyone please give me any more clues?? Have you guys checked out the database? i think it must be a huge problem any help is appreciated.. thanks so much

Actually - it is the code behind your combo. Check your combo event code and you subform recordsource. Think about it and it will fall into place.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Hey!

Sorry about this, but the code behind the combo box was given to me by a teacher and im not sure exactly what it means and what is wrong with it.. is there any chance you can help me a little further?

Thanks so much if u can, Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Nillskill
    Have you guys checked out the database?
    i got as far as trying to open the mdb, which failed because i don't have the right version of access

ordinarily, we would ask you to copy/paste the relevant code here instead of making us do the work of digging for it

but it looks like you've found a patsy, er, i mean, someone willing to do extra yeoman service
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca