Unanswered: Restricting Access in Access...

I have a db that will have multiple users. Each user is entering data into a table via a form. When a user opens the form, the database captures the user's Windows logon, and the user can only edit the records that correspond to his logon.

My question is, how can I prevent each user from opening the main table and seeing all records, although still allow them to enter records into the table via the form?

I can hide all of the objects in the db, but all a user has to do is go to Tools...Options...Show Hidden Objects.

Thanks!

Talking

greets;

There is one way that i use to lock off the parts i don't want people to see, and this method needs you to make sure that you have all the menus, and forms you need to make the database work, before you go ahead.

If you have people simply, "click" the desired table or form, that woldn't be good enough as it hides everything.

In order to proceed, you need the "get out of jail card" creating first.

Create a new MACRO.
    Select "RunCommand"
    Select in the properties at the bottom of the screen the command "startup"
    (name it mcr_startup for ease of use)

Create a new form "admin" and place a button on here to run the macro you have just created. (mcr_startup) ([Alternatively place on an admin menu that you may have])

Place a button on your main swtichboard called "admin" or somethiung similar to open this new form.

Goto TOOLS > Startup > Uncheck all the checkboxes, and select your switchboard as the startup form.

Close and reload your database.

You will have hidden everything form view, and the only way to be able to view it again would be to go to the admin menu, click the startup button, and re-check everything. (it is better if you have multiple menus for multiple users with access levels so that the admin form is only displayed to admin users.)

Hope it helps;

Dan
    sometimes simple is best.... and i'm just a simple fellow.

Great idea! I already had an Admin button, so I just needed the macro.

I don't suppose there is a way to not have to close and reopen the db to acheive this?

What about graying out 'Tools' on the menubar, and also 'View' so the user can't reverse the change in the front-end?

Thanks again!

a good way to do this would be to create a custom toolbar and disable the one in access.
    sometimes simple is best.... and i'm just a simple fellow.