Red face Unanswered: BDE Connection via ODBC to MS SQL Server fails

Hi,

I have a strange problem accessing a MS SQL Database from my network.
    I'm using an application that is based on BDE which uses ODBC to connect to a MS SQL DB.
    When I tried to connect from the network with BDE,I got this error message:

BDE Error : 13059
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).

On the server side I'm using W2003 EE ,MS SQL 2000 Standard with SP4, BDE5.11.
    On the client side it's an XP SP2 with MS SQL Client installed, same BDE 5.11
    When I create an alias using ODBC and mapping to my server, it connects and the communication with the Database Server succeds:
    TESTS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY!
    When I'm trying to connect using BDE Admin and double clicking on the + sign of the alias I created usind ODBC admin I get the message I listed above.
    Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

--Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Problem solved

Thank you for replying me...in the meantime i solved the problem.
    It was the incorrect settings in the registry for BDE. After erasing the keys from the registry and having reinstalled the BDE everything worked fine.
    There are some files used by BDE when connecting to SQL server which are not installed when using Delphi 5 or later

However thank you for the usefull link.

best regards,
    Sanyi

Glad the issue is resolved and appreciate your feedback on posting the solution, that helps.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Satya View Post
    Glad the issue is resolved and appreciate your feedback on posting the solution, that helps.
    Hi , as i saw the problem has been solved by the user Sanyi_Albert but he is not describing what exactly has done with the registry and the missing files that are not installed.
    I am using Delphi 6 and i tried to run my application on Windows 2003 64 bit with SQL Server 2005 32 bit installed.
    Also i use BDE ver. 5.01.
    So the problem is that i can't connect to SQL Server but i can connect via ODBC.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
    Costas

Hi Costas,

Some solution to your problem? I have the same deterrent to connect to a 64-bit client BDE to a SQL Server 2005 server.

Thanks,
    Anpadilo