Unanswered: Cannot reduce access db past 3mb

Hi all,

i have an access database i need to deploy as a fe/be....

the backend is all sql server tables, the front end using access 2002 is the linked tables, 5 forms, 17 reports (cant reduce this due to db requirements) all of which are based on queries (the queries aren't stored as queries and then referenced they are part of record source)

the problem is even after a decompile/compact and repair/compile/make mde file...i still cant get the app to reduce past 3meg....our IT boss doesn't want anything too large being deployed so i need to get this down as much as possible and need some tips on reducing size. i need all the elements in there so cant remove any forms or reports.

oh yeah all my images are linked and all bunk vb has been removed....im stuck, i wont be able to deploy this db if i cant reduce it's size which sucks as it means ive wasted time and not been able to provide my employers with what they requested..

help!
    greg

Hi Greg

Welcome to the forum

Don't be hard on yourself - if your employers have a dumb requirement then it is their look out.

You could split your FE into two - forms and reports. Use automation to open the reporting db when required. Of course, the sum of the two dbs will exceed 3mb. Or - if you have any reports that are broadly similar you could look at seeing if you could combine two or more and use code to account for the differences.

But these will require hours of work which I just can't see can be compared to knocking half a MB off a file size.

Do you know the target size? Unless you are close I wouldn't bother trying. You have been asked to produce a reporting (possibly transanctional) app and you have done so. 3MB is not unduly large - it is 2006 you know. Just how old a network do your employers run? If they want something that lightweight they should be paying for a web developer (IMO).

Actually - reread - I'd consider going over ITs head if they remain intransigent. They aren't the client - they are the obstacle. I would make it perfectly clear who was preventing deployment if push came to shove. (Again IMO).

Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Excellent, well sort of- fully agree with the view on the IT dept, to let you into a secret our network manager doesn't even know how to back up the sql server, block spam at the email server or allow us access to ftp sites so you can imagine the problems i run into!!

i'd would have been happy to reduce the amount of reports i have via code but im too ignorant to do so- the reason i have so many is that the majorty are the combination of two sub-reports- both with the same identifier fields on.

each of the two sub report can be identified by the same four fields- academic, behavioural, medical, personal. and what i needed to be able to do was print off the main report based on the values of the identifier....so if i selected the academic checkbox and printed the main report it would include all of any of the two subreports where the academic checkbox equaled 'yes'

speaking to people informed me this wasnt possible and it was better to set up reports which were unique to the certain values...this is what i believe makes it soo huge... its a bit annoying as every other app ive designed is less than a meg (as you can imagine these apps are deployed at the same time so they all need to be a small as)- i think ill look into your suggestion of splitting it betrween forms and reps....that or going over IT's head...they aren't my clients after all!!

cheers
    greg

greg - 3MB isn't huge. Access is a thick client. Hell - I distribute reports bigger than that (well - I'm sure I have done). And to be fair - at my place the network is specced according to the requirements of the organisation not the other way round.
    Anyway - the "flexible, heavily coded reports" thing is not necessarily the right way to do things - merely a way to get the size down.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

My 2 cents worth on top of what the flumpster said is I had a FE that deployed at 30 meg ... About the only way to shrink the FE any more would be to split the db up more (then your accumulated size would exceed the single db they came from) or try to do as much in code as possible then MDE the db ...

At some point you will not be able to shrink any more because that's the room necessary for Access to work ... UNLESS they want to drop some reports or merge reports/forms to be more multi-purpose ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...