Thread: Acutime 2000

Unanswered: Acutime 2000

Hi, im trying to make an aplication to control the acutime 2000 gps with visual basic, but i have a problem, i dont know where obtain (buy) the libraries or the drivers for add it in my aplication.
    Could someone help me?
    Thanks.

Provided Answers: 59
    I don't know anything about the accutime GPS device, however most GPS are controlled or talk using NMEA sentances. The devices hisgher functions are usually controoled using a propriatory modification of the NMEA sentances.

So in order to control yopur device (ie transfer waypoints, position fixes etc) then you need the propriatory interface specification. if all you want to do is to download the current postion and other data I'd try using NMEA. this should work if your computer is a passive (listening) device, rahtert than one trying to iniate the conversation

If you are using XP/NT/W2000 A potential problem you are going to have is however how to talk to the serial port. You may be able to get round this using a USB to seriual converter. Accessign the serail port is no longer the breeze it was on W98, you cna no longer just drop in an activex control and start reading.

A first point of reference would be to do a web search to find out if anytone has decoded the propriatory parts of your gps language, heck there may even be a control system out there gratis.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 54
    As this is really more of a programming issue than a database issue, I think you might have better luck at our "sister site", Programming Talk.

In terms of forums here at DBForums, I think you'll have much better luck in the VB forum instead of Applications. I'm going to move this thread there in the hope that one or more of the VB programmers might already know how to do this and will help you.

-PatP

thank you healdem, i had do a web search and i dont find nothing related.

To talk to the serial port im using a USB to seriual converter, but the problem is that i cant recieve the latitude and the length position of the GPS because i need the libraries of Acutime 2000 to control it.

Thanks.

OK Pat Phelan, thanks for all and excuse me for the annoyances.

Provided Answers: 54
    Heavens, no annoyance at all. I'm just trying to help you get the best answers for your questions.

-PatP