Thread: Password file.

Unanswered: Password file.

Hi.

I'd like to know how to create a password file on Windows environment.
    I'm trying to create a database Manually. I set the remote_login_passwordfile parameter in the control file to exclusive. When I run the create database script, I get the error ORA-01092, while all the file mentionned in the create database command are created. Is it because of the lack of password file?

Btw I'm running on windows 2000.

Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 1
    You should create the database first, then change the control file parameter to 'exclusive'. Then stop & restart the database, which will create the password file in $ORACLE_HOME/database (The file will be called pwd<db_name>.ora).

You can also create the pwd file manually, using the orapwd utility. You will need to do this if you have more than 5 SYSDBA accounts (including SYS), as the default value is 5 - just delete the existing pwd file & recreate it using orapwd, specifying a higher value for the 'entries' parameter.

Don't forget to grant SYSDBA to the relevant accounts, as the only account that has SYSDBA when the pwd file is first created is the SYS account.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

Further to your specific error message:

ORA-01092 ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced

Cause: The instance connected to was terminated abnormally, probably due to a SHUTDOWN ABORT. The current process was forced to disconnect from the instance.

Action: Examine the alert log for more details. Contact the database administrator to determine when the instance is restarted. Attempt to reconnect after the instance is running again.

I would suggest the first bit of action advice (i.e. examine the alert log/s).
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

Password file.

Thank you cis_groupie,

I'll check the alert log file, to see what is the cause of the ORA-01092.

As to the orapwd, is it not a utility than we run on linux environment for creating the password file? I'm running on windows 2000.

Suppose I haven't installed the default database when installing the software, and I'd like to create my database manually, will there be a password file installed by default?

Cheers.

orapwd will work for Windows - open a DOS prompt box & type in the orapwd command.

(e.g. c:> orapwd file=<file_location>/pwd<db_name>.ora password=<sys pwd> entries=<max no of SYSDBA a/cs>

The default setting for the parameter is 'none', so you will need to create the password file manually (as said before, change the parameter in the control file to 'exclusive', stop & restart the database, & the pwd file should be created.)

HTH.

Thanks again for your reply Cis_groupie,

I could create the password file as you recommended me to do, and it worked. However I still have a problem.Looks like there wasn't the twist. After creating it, :
    - I shut down the database, set to exclusive the remote_login_passwordfile, and started it up in nomount, specifying the pfile to be used.
    -then I ran the create database script using the following syntax:
    @<full path/location of the script>
    (for my case : @G:\dbcreate-script\createdbtest.sql)

The creation started but was halted by the ORA-01092 error. I went to the alert log file and here is what was logged in there:

Tue May 09 02:03:26 2006
    Error 1991 happened during db open, shutting down database
    USER: terminating instance due to error 1991
    Instance terminated by USER, pid = 876
    ORA-1092 signalled during: CREATE DATABASE dbtest
    MAXINSTANCES 1
    MAXLOGHISTOR...

I didn't understand any of the above.

Below is my "create database" script :

CREATE DATABASE dbtest
    MAXINSTANCES 1
    MAXLOGHISTORY 1
    MAXLOGFILES 5
    MAXLOGMEMBERS 3
    MAXDATAFILES 100
    DATAFILE 'G:\ora9idatabase\oradata\dbtest\system01.dbf' SIZE 250M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 10240K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED
    DEFAULT TEMPORARY TABLESPACE TEMP TEMPFILE 'G:\ora9idatabase\oradata\dbtest\temp01.dbf' SIZE 40M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 640K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED
    UNDO TABLESPACE "UNDOTBS1" DATAFILE 'G:\ora9idatabase\oradata\dbtest\undotbs01.dbf' SIZE 200M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 5120K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED
    CHARACTER SET WE8MSWIN1252
    NATIONAL CHARACTER SET AL16UTF16
    LOGFILE
    GROUP 1 ('G:\ora9idatabase\oradata\dbtest\redo01.log') SIZE 102400K,
    GROUP 2 ('G:\ora9idatabase\oradata\dbtest\redo02.log') SIZE 102400K,
    GROUP 3 ('G:\ora9idatabase\oradata\dbtest\redo03.log') SIZE 102400K;

Is there anything wrong with the syntax???
    Last edited by adomi; 05-09-06 at 00:59.

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.itpub.net/92453.html

(Ignore the first entry - it's in Chinese )

It seems that the password parameter needs to be set to shared?

Hi Cis_grpie,

I changed the remote_login_passwordfile to shared and guess what??? It worked!!! I received the message : "Database created". But I was so happy that I exited before running the catproc.sql, catalog.sql and the other scripts. When I realized that, I tried and connect and I got the ORA-12154: TNS Could not resolve service name. How do I correct it? Should I configure the tnsnames file?

How do we correct the ORA-12560 TNS Protocol Adapter error.
    What do the above 2 errors mean?

PS. Sorry for disturbing you mate.

You will need to configure the TNSNames.ora file, & with luck this will resolve the other error you are getting.

A good place to find out what error messages mean & (more importantly )how to resolve them is:

http://www.oracle-base.com/forum/Thr...php?forum_id=1

Look down the left hand side for the 'Error Messages' search box.

Keep working at it - you're almost there!

Thanks for your help man, It'll work on it. The link you provided me with in your last reply doesn't work. Anyway....As to the first, God! I thought it was arabic(The first line I mean ), Thank god you mentionned it was chinese. hehe.

Well, I'll try and configure the TNSnames.ora file,and when I'm through I'll let you know. The database I created manually does not show on the DBCA or the OEM console. I guess it's because of the errors aforementionned.

I got some config to do ..see u later?

Once you have added the db to the tnsnames.ora file you will be able to add it manually to OEM (Navigator/Add database to tree).

As for the link not working, although the main screen will show the 404 error, the error search box will load (left hand side of page. half way down).

Hey,It's me....again,

Well.. I indeed I could add the database I created in the OEM by following your steps, ....but I still am unable to resolve the set of errors related to the listener I got.
    The database does not show up in the list of oracle services, and I think I got all the listener and service name related errors, from ORA-12154 to ORA-12560 to ORA-12524...etc..I even got the ORA-12500. All the aforementionned happen at some point when I tried to connect using the syntax sys/password@dbame as sysdba and the like. But When I use the startup pfile=........it seems to work.

I ran the lsnrctl service service_name command as well as the tnsping command to see whether the service was registered and without actually knowing how to interpret the result I think both were good for I could see the service names on the screem along with the configuration I made as well as a"...... successfully completed" message.

I do not want to post a thesis but can you please have a look at my tnsnames.ora and listener.ora file? The embolded portions are those I've added afterwards as a result of the config. The remaining parts were there already. May the problem be in the init.ora file?

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: G:\ora9idatabase\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

dbtest=
    (description =
    (address_list =
    (address = (protocol = tcp)(host = Walther-ppk)(port = 1521))
    )
    (connect_data =
    (server = dedicated)
    (sid = dbtest)
    )
    )
    FADY =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = Walther-ppk)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = fady)
    )
    )

INST1_HTTP =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = SHARED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = MODOSE)
    (PRESENTATION = http://HRService)
    )
    )

CORAZON =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
    (SERVICE_NAME = corazon)
    )
    )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC2))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SID = PLSExtProc)
    (PRESENTATION = RO)
    )
    )

# LISTENER.ORA Network Configuration File: G:\ora9idatabase\network\admin\listener.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC2))
    )
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    )
    )
    )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
    (ORACLE_HOME = G:\ora9idatabase)
    (PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME = corazon)