Unanswered: Access seems to hang but is alive

Hello,

I run Access 2002 SP3 on XP Home Edition SP2.

I am developing a DB for semi-automated data evaluation. Some of these operations might take some time (minutes). In oder not to leave the user uncertain, I introduced a form that shows 3 progress bars (the data is organized in a 3-layer hierarchy).

The problem is: When the operation is started the form works and all is fine. But after some time (~ 20-30 sec) Access ceases responding, the taskmananger lists the application as "not responding" -- but calculation still goes on and when it is finished everything works as it should.

My question: Is there a way to keep Access - from point of view of the Operating System - alive? Is there a way to keep the progress indicating form alive?

Thanks for any help!

Reinhard.

Based on your OS, I assume it's a newer computer with plenty of RAM. It takes a lot to make Access appear hung up to the OS. Perhaps the cure is in solving the underlying problem opposed to dressing up the symptom. Here's some questions for you:

Why does your calculation take so long?

Are you running everything through queries?

Do you have multiple functions in your queries?

Is the Front End running through a network or on a local workstation?

What is the data source in (network DB, SQL, etc.)?

tc

Uh yes ... DoEvents. Use it liberally ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

@tcace:
    The computer is a 3.2 GHz (x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3, GenuineIntel), 1 GB of RAM.

1. Duration of calculation: There are several tables involved (~20), since some parameters are saved in a table with columns like Name/Value there are some transformations to be done. I don't have influence on that organization and, moreover, I do not complain about the runtime of the operation

2. I am not sure whether I understand you correctly. Of course, I run everything through queries. I assemble SQL-strings and execute them through a RecordSet.Open command, I also add/update records via RecordSet.Add and RecordSet.Update, resp.

3. What exactly do you mean by "multiple functions"? If it is functions that modify resulting fields of the recordset then the answer is yes, since there are some oddities (like a non-functioning round-function) I had to circumvent.

4. The DB is split in front-end and back-end but both are located on the local machine.

5. Data source: Both BE and FE are Aceess-DBs. The BE is connected via linked tables.

---------
    @M Owen:
    You've hit it! I was googling for that such a long time -- thank you very much!

Reinhard.