Question Unanswered: Sql Service Agent - not running

Hello, I am having a problem with my sql server agent service not working. I have done some research from earlier postings and still having no luck with getting it up and running.

Problem:
    "Could not start the SQLSEVERAGENT service on local computer. could be an internal Windows errow or service error.

2006-05-09 14:23:55 - ! [298] SQLServer Error: 6, Specified SQL server not found. [SQLSTATE 08001]
    2006-05-09 14:23:55 - ! [298] SQLServer Error: 11001, ConnectionOpen (Connect()). [SQLSTATE 01000]
    2006-05-09 14:23:55 - ! [000] Unable to connect to server '\\PROBLEMTRACK'; SQLServerAgent cannot start
    2006-05-09 14:23:55 - ? [098] SQLServerAgent terminated (normally)

I have reset the password for the 'sa' account and running it and got error: Error 18456: login failed for user Specify a different account to be used.
    But when I try it only provides me with the 'sa' account.

My primary goal is to run some DMP ion the databases that I have on the server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Provided Answers: 6
    is your sql service running? if yes under what account? is it the same account that your sql server agent service is running as?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Just to clarify, "the account that your sql server agent service is runnig" is the account that I am logged in as, correct?

Yes the server is running. When I checked it, it was running under the local system account. I changed it to the account that I am logged as and tried to start it and it gave me the error:

Could not start the SQLSEVERAGENT service on local computer. could be an internal Windows errow or service error

Provided Answers: 54
    The SQL Server Agent requires a Windows login for the service itself. I prefer to find this by going to My Computer | Manage | Services and Applications | Services | SQLAgent | Log On. If you don't need to schedule anything that runs on or against another server, the Local System Account works very well and is extremely low hassle.

-PatP

I checked the Log on As for the SQL Server Agent and it was set to Local System.