Unanswered: Multi User access

Hi guys, I am new here, but I need to know something.

I am creating a VB front-end with an access database as a back-end but I need more than one user to access it at the same time. As in, add, delete, update records in a specified table(s).

I am currently using Microsoft Jet engine, so is there anyway to do it with this? Or should I use ADO? If so, how?

Thanks.

Hi,

As for locking in Access, e.g. have a look here http://advisor.com/doc/13043

If you're on Access not higher then 97, use DAO, otherwise it might make sense to switch to ADO.

Shurik.

p.s. In general, Access is not really meant for use in (simultaneous) multiuser environment, so if you have a chance to switch to xay MSDE- do so

I am aware of the locking procedures and have utilised it before, but I needed to know if mulit-users was allowed at all in Access.

If I use MSDE (which is available as an express version ATM ), is it any different to open/use in Visual Basic 6 compared to Access?

Also, I was reading somewhere that if I use access with ADO then I can get it to work in a multi-user environment, is this true? If so, how?

Thanks.

>but I needed to know if mulit-users was allowed at all in Access.

As I said in my previous post- in theory (that's what MS claims) 'yes'.

In practice- it's a pain in the neck, surely if the mdb file is on the network
    (and this what you're going to have since you're talking about multi-user environment). The things become even worse if the file is "big"

>is it any different to open/use in Visual Basic 6 compared to Access?
    It's, at least in that sense that MSDE is a 'real' database engine and Access
    just "all-in-one" file, hence you have much more possibilities in MSDE (think of stored procedures, triggers, etc etc)

>Also, I was reading somewhere that if I use access with ADO then I can get it to work in a multi-user environment, is this true? If so, how?

http://www.google.be/search?hl=nl&q=ADO+tutorial&meta=

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by daoutlawz
    Also, I was reading somewhere that if I use access with ADO then I can get it to work in a multi-user environment, is this true?
    Well, you CAN get it to work - just not as well as you can with other solutions.

I can drive nails with a big wrench, too. But, not as easily as with a hammer. And my fingers will get sore.

Access was designed for single-user, desktop work. Although multiple user access was "bolted on" later, Access just can't work as well for multiple users as a server-based solution.
    Last edited by loquin; 05-14-06 at 23:31.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert