Unanswered: Please Help - Error: ORA-01466

Hi,

Hoping you guys can help me out with something?

History:
    Currently we have a NT Box that has our batch jobs and the Oracle DB on the same server box. Oracle is 8i, OS W2K.

We are in the middle of a transition period, where we are moving to different setup. Batch jobs on a NT Box and the database on a different server that is a UNIX OS.

We have moved some of our old control files, packages, over and a few work just as normal and faster.

But there are a few that create a random error, like the following:
    Code:
    -1466 --- ORA-01466: unable to read data - table definition has changed
    Now we don't user flasback queries, so most of the information I find don't help me.

Its a simple staging table where we load data from a file that is parsed using perl, via a .ctl file. This works.

Then we run a stored procedure/package to move that data from the staging to the final tables.

This is where the error happens, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't ... but lately its been more of not working.

Is there something different that we over looked moving from 8i to 9i ?

If anybody could help me out with something that would be great. If you need more information let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Unwilling or incapable of following #1 sticky post. :-(
    http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p...:5482848010312
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

I tried that and I did read the sticky. I searched a few of those links. All tell me about how to use flashback or exporting etc. Thats not my scenario atm. I simply load a few records from a text file into the database using a CTL file, then I execute a package with a few store procedures to simple run a query on that table with data and transfer it over to another table.
    No fancy math work, no flashbacks, no Advance Q's etc.

No one seems to have my type of issue as far as i can tell from searching places. Very odd.

Any other thoughts?

Could you track down to which line of plsql it throws the exception on, is it consistent?

Also is there any ddl happenning to the table in question?

Alan

Well just to give you all an update.

Apparently in 8i I can do the following in a stored procedure:
    Code:
    set transaction read write;

... some query INSERT or UPDATE here ...

commit;
    But in 9i .. this is not liked at all ... i had to manually go to all my packages that did this .. and take them out to make them work like they used to. I did not see anything about this on the realease notes for 9i or updates?

If anybody else has a similar issue they will read this and be closer to solving their issues.

Thanks to all that tried to help.

Quote Originally Posted by llccoo
    Well just to give you all an update.

Apparently in 8i I can do the following in a stored procedure:
    Code:
    set transaction read write;

... some query INSERT or UPDATE here ...

commit;
    But in 9i .. this is not liked at all ... i had to manually go to all my packages that did this .. and take them out to make them work like they used to. I did not see anything about this on the realease notes for 9i or updates?
    Thanks for the update.

How do you mean, "But in 9i .. this is not liked at all"? It seems to be valid syntax, if redundant ("read write" is the default, unless for some reason the default is set to something else on your system).

Is it possible that DDL is being issued against a database object that is in use by a long-running cursor? I'm not sure what it would take to create this situation.

What is the timestamp in your new database and in your old database. In both of them, issue the following

select to_char(sysdate,'MM/DD/YYYY HH24:MI.SS') FROM DUAL;
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.