Unanswered: Advices Required " how to save archive log files"

Guys!!

I am completely new to DB2 database adminsitration as i came from Progress DBA background ....

Here i have Five DB2 instances running on different AIX servers. Solution also comprised of TSM and my earlier DB2 DBA was taking so called " Online Db2 backup " using tsm.

I reviewed the info on web and found that userexit should be ON , if you want to take backups of archive log files to TSM. In our case, following are DB2 parameters:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Path to log files = /home/db2inst1/db2inst1/NODE0000/SQL00002/SQLOGDIR/
    Overflow log path (OVERFLOWLOGPATH) =
    Mirror log path (MIRRORLOGPATH) =
    First active log file = S0000783.LOG
    Block log on disk full (BLK_LOG_DSK_FUL) = NO
    Percent of max active log space by transaction(MAX_LOG) = 0
    Num. of active log files for 1 active UOW(NUM_LOG_SPAN) = 0

Group commit count (MINCOMMIT) = 1
    Percent log file reclaimed before soft chckpt (SOFTMAX) = 100
    Log retain for recovery enabled (LOGRETAIN) = RECOVERY
    User exit for logging enabled (USEREXIT) = OFF

Auto restart enabled (AUTORESTART) = ON
    Index re-creation time (INDEXREC) = SYSTEM (RESTART)
    Default number of loadrec sessions (DFT_LOADREC_SES) = 1
    Number of database backups to retain (NUM_DB_BACKUPS) = 10
    Recovery history retention (days) (REC_HIS_RETENTN) = 366

TSM management class (TSM_MGMTCLASS) = db2mgtclass
    TSM node name (TSM_NODENAME) = asd_node1
    TSM owner (TSM_OWNER) =
    TSM password (TSM_PASSWORD) = *****

------------------------------------------------------------------

I have also checked in TSM config and found db2mgtclass is pointing to one tape storage pool in TSM Server.

Now it seems from above configuration , that userexit is off so it means that earlier they are just taking online backups of Db2 database ( but not backing up archive log files to TSM which are very important for DB recovery.. Please correct me if i am wrong in understanding ....)

SO What should be done now to backup archive log files also to tapes.. I am not interested in using userexit & TSM integration as it will require TSM advance skills which i dont have!!!

Can i write a shell script on Unix which simply moves new archive log files from production Server to another server automatically as new archive files are created ( from where it is backed up to TSM or to some other tape drive )???? please advice

This script can be run on every let's say two minutes interval on Production Server!!

I appreciate all u experienced guys inputs

Thanks in Advance

Huyed Jones

Question Advice Needed on backing up DB2 archive log files

Hi Guys

I am still waiting for some response from you expereinced people on DB2 database administration.

I will really thank all of you in advance for any support!!

Jones

I will recommend using TSM for log archiving using USEREXIT ...
    hmm .. ok... if you say you cannot use TSM directly, then create a filesystem and a directory for the archive log files ...
    Use the db2uext2.cdisk program to archive the log files to the archive directory you created above.
    Backup the directory to TSM every day (or preferably more often, depending on the rate of archiving) .. Moving to TSM will eliminate the risk loosing arcchived logfiles in case of disk failure ...
    You'll have to make sure that the archive logs files copied to TSM are retained atleast as long as the related backups ...

When you need a restore and rollforward, a manual copy of the files from TSM to the disk will be required ...

BTW, did you know that the backup also can be written directlry to TSM?
    Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

what is your DB2 version?

What is the value for LOGARCHMETH1? You should be able to archive your logs directly to TSM by setting the parameter LOGARCHMETH1 to TSM.

This is a valid question ... ...

I simply made a guess from the config parm list that it should be 8.1 ...

BTW, even if you set LOGARCHMETH1 to TSM, you need to configure TSM, whch the OP wanted to avoid - although I do not agree that bypassing TSM this way is a good idea in the longer run ...

Sathyaram

Quote Originally Posted by angel_s
    what is your DB2 version?

What is the value for LOGARCHMETH1? You should be able to archive your logs directly to TSM by setting the parameter LOGARCHMETH1 to TSM.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Unhappy Advices Required " how to backup archive log files"

Hi Guys!!!

First of all many thanks for giving me such good advices !!!

Now returning to main question... infact the DB2 version is 8.1...

As far as writing log files directly to TSM is concerned , i am hesitating because i have to go in depth for TSM also ( as in this my new company , there is no one to look after TSM aslo.. unfortunately )...and i want to backup these archive log files to tapes as soon as possible.

What if , i use AIX rdist utility in shell script ( which compares two directories and copies files from one directory to another , on same or different server ) to push archive log files to another server as soon as they are formed and then use simple TSM archive function to archive these log files to tape.

I look forward to have your advices and opinion on this idea....

Regards

Huy Jones