Question Unanswered: Migration from Sybase to Oracle

Hi

I am trying to use the Free Ware version of Embarcadero DbArtisan 7.2.1 tool which has validity of 40 days to migrate from Sybase to Oracle.

On Oracle Database the user by which i am logging in has DBA Preveleges but still when ever i am trying to migrate a table it migrate the empty table but i want the data aslo.

Can any ome help me in this? Can any one tell me the reason why the data is not getting migrated?

I will really be thankfull for the help.

Regards
    Pulkit

I used an very expensive tool once called SQLWorks that did the migration.

If I compare the cost, I would rather get this done manually. Oracle Migration Workbench has a few things you can look at.

Long time ago, I used a eval version called "Vaman". This used to have a ODBC based data migration tool, it is slow and is good for small sized instances.

You can use sybase remote server & proxy tables to migrate the data to the oracle database. Make sure that the table structure remains same in both the databases. You also need to make sure the data type mapping also is taken care of. For example:

Sybase Oracle
    INTEGER NUMBER(12)
    BIGINT NUMBER
    BINARY(n) RAW(n)
    BIT CHAR(1)
    CHAR(n) CHAR(n)
    DATETIME DATE
    DECIMAL(p,s) NUMBER(p,s)
    IMAGE RAW(n) for n < 2000, else BLOB
    LONG VARCHAR LONG
    SMALLINT NUMBER(7)
    SMALLMONEY NUMBER(19,4)
    SYSNAME VARCHAR(30)
    TEXT VARCHAR2(n) for n<4000, else CLOB

You can check for all datatypes. I guess you already have the table structure in oracle using dbArtisan. so now explore Remote server & proxy table usage. If you have any issues, let me know. What version are you working with?

Cheers,
    Prashant

Needs some more help for dbArtisan

Hi,

Thanks for your reply... I need to discuss one more problem i am facing with dbArtisan. When ever i try to migrate Table structure along with the data from sybase to oracle using this tool it fails in case if there are Datetime fields in Sybase tables. Infact i think that it should migrate Datetime fields directly to Date type fields in the counter part table in Oracle. Is there any setting in dbArtisan that can help me.

At present i have make a copy of the table in Sybase that i need to migrate and then change its DateTime fields into Char type then the migration goes OK to Oracle. But in this case when i access the migrated table i have to again use To_Date to convert in into Date type.

Please suggest.

Regards
    Pulkit

Hi,

I am just anticipating the reason for datetime issue:

Sybase records thousandths of seconds while Oracle to just seconds. Any finer granularity beyond seconds is lost (truncated) during conversion. Though most of the tools do take care of this, i just see that this might be a short coming in dbartisan and it might be throwing a exception on this.

You can write to the dbartisan support to find out more about this issue.

cheers,
    Prashant

Hi

I don't have licensed version so i think they will not support me.
    If you have there email id then plz let me know i will at least try once.

If you come accross any solution then plz.. update me as it will solve my problem.

Regards
    Pulkit

It isn't the issue in DB Artisan. Oracle datetime precision is upto the second. To get millisecond precision, you need to split the datetime to into 2 parts and store the milliseconds as numeric in a seperate column.

Or at least that is how it was done a while go. Not sure, if 10g has anything new.

The answer to an Oracle to Sybase migration is a litte bit more complex than searching for the right tool. There are currently no tools available that will do 100% of the migration tasks, and we are in 2012 now.

However there is help in form of new material and guidelines. I has the privilege to present this topic at TechWave / TechED 2011 in Las Vegas. You can get the details on our website.
    Oracle to Sybase Migration

We are working on more material and for TechED 2012 another session is scheduled. This topic is getting more and more inquiries. Drop me a note on the website when you visit our website.

Why have you provided info about an Oracle to Sybase requirement when this:
    Migration from Sybase to Oracle
    is the topic title?

Also, the topic has been happily dormant for more than 6 years. . .

And, A Rather Tacky bit of self-promoting. . .