Unanswered: Read Only Access - Why?

Hi,

I have an Access db on one computer in a network. I could access this db from other computers on my network with full control. I recently reinstalled Windows XP, and now the other compurts receive the following message pon opening the db.

The database 'Members' is read-only.
    You won't be able to save changes made to data or object definitions in this database.

I would like all computers on the network to have full control like they did before. I would rather not split the database, as I frequently make changes to structure, and no two computers will use the database simultaneously anyway.

Thanks in advance

Todd

If the DB is located in a XP box then open Windows Explorer (on the XP machine) and locate the Folder which the DB is contained in. Highlight the Folder then hit your right mouse button. From the popup menu select:

Sharing and Security...

piss around in there for a while.

Environment:
    Self Taught In ALL Environments.....And It Shows!

Question

Thanks Cyberlynx,

I should have mentioned that the drive and folder on the drive is shared, with full access permissions to everyone. I have also set full control allow permissions on the file itself for everyone.

TIA,

TB

When you say full access - can users create files? This is critical. Access creates an ldb (lock) file. This manages the transactions of users. Without the file (i.e. if they do not have permissions to create it) then no transactions. A database with no transactions is read only

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks pootle flump,

That was it. Upon checking the folder level permissions, they indeed were restricted. I thought that sharing to everyone allowed full control by default, but it allows read-only control by default. After selecting the permissions button on the sharing tab of the folder properties, and selecting the allow checkbox for full control, voila~.

Thanks,

TB