Unanswered: SQL SERVER CAL licenses

Dear All

I have developed a system which has SQL server as a backend... Reading Microsofts Licensing required i m a bit puzzled if a CAL license is required for each user that is created on my system. i.e. If my system has 5 users, do i need 5 CAL licences.. however, in order to present the required data to these users i log to SQL server with the same single account.

Regards

Then, you should probably be using processor licensing. Is this a web app, from which the users are accessing SQL Server?
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Im no licensing expert..

But it sounds like you have an application that uses a single login to connect to the server and that application is either installed or presented to a number of users (in your example, 5).

For each user that will directy (or indirectly) access the data (doesn't matter how many logins) you will need a license..

Im not sure though

The description given is exactly the situation... i.e. i have an web application (over an intranet) that uses a single login to connect to the server and that application is either presented to a number of users.

My reasoning is that since there's only 1 user created on the sql server... only one license is required.

Provided Answers: 6
    you definitly need a processor liscence.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

I would think you need a processor license.. Unless you only have a handful of intranet users

Why not contact a local Microsoft provider or MS Support directly for further confirmation.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]