Unanswered: Connecting Oracle using IP address

Hello..,

We have a VB application which, uses Oracle 8i as backend. In our application we need to connect to a remote oracle database server. I am able to connect through SQL Plus...but not able to do so by programming..My Connection String goes like this...

sConnstr = "Driver=(Oracle ODBC Driver);Provider=MSDAORA;Host=(Remote System IP Address),1521;Network Library=DBMSSOCN;Service Name=(SID);User ID=sample;Password=sample;"

Is there any error in this connection string?

It is giving an error saying invalid username/password. logon denied..

The problem is it is connecting to local system itself even though i have specified the service name and the IP address.
    Please help...its urgent

Thanks in advance,
    Poornima.

Cool

It seems your problem is not related to the IP address but to the identification you provided: "invalid username/password"

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

No its not the problem with the username/password..i am able to connect to that server through SQL Plus...but when i want to do that by coding..it is giving the error..the problem i think is the connection string which i am passing to the connection object..it is not able to resolve the IP address and service name..so is there any other way to do this..?

Regards,
    Poornima.

Provided Answers: 4
    If it says that username and password are wrong, it means that the database IS found, but this user doesn't exist there. Could you check the hosts file and see whether there's alias for this IP address; maybe it needs to be commented? Or uncommented? Just guessing ...