Unanswered: Java or a .net language for Oracle

Hi all,

As a junior database developer using Oracle (forms,pl/sql) I'm always wondering about learning another programming language. As I work with Oracle and because Oracle are very much supporting Java is it best to opt for Java or another langauge like C#,VB.NET.

What advice do you have...what way do you think I should start looking?

Thanks

Langs

You may look for which language there are more "open jobs" at your place.
    Any way as I see if you decide to learn Java it should be good to you not to learn just java, j2ee and EJB but also learn to use a framework like struts or faces.
    dimis

don't even start looking at addon libraries and frameworks until you know the language.
    Way too many people dabble in Struts or JSF, make a hello world type thingy using that, and claim on their resumes to know Java and J2EE.

Java

Of cource we have to know good enough Java and J2EE when we will try to learn things like struts (So maybe will not even understand them!).
    A Hello word program does not mean that you know a language...
    But in real world struts, cocoon and so many other things are around and we have a plus when we have a good knowledge of them (good - I Repeat.).

Which IDE then?

Which is then best (free IDE to use then). I have looked at Oracle JDeveloper but I think this just allows for web based applications to be developed, right? I' d like to start off learning by being able to build simple standalone Windows applications. I think Eclipse IDE allows this. Does Sun Javs Studio Creator allow this too? Net Beans? Or perhaps these allow for Windows standalone based applications as well as web based ones.

What do you recommend?

Thanks

Ide

Quote Originally Posted by colm
    Which is then best (free IDE to use then). I have looked at Oracle JDeveloper but I think this just allows for web based applications to be developed, right? I' d like to start off learning by being able to build simple standalone Windows applications. I think Eclipse IDE allows this. Does Sun Javs Studio Creator allow this too? Net Beans? Or perhaps these allow for Windows standalone based applications as well as web based ones.

What do you recommend?

Thanks
    I use netbeans - you can write stand alone applications and also J2EE apps and EJBs.
    I thing it a good IDE even eclipse is more popular as I know.
    Last edited by dimis2500; 05-20-06 at 09:07.

You don't need any IDE to write any Java program.
    In fact it's best to not use one until you know the language as they only prevent you from learning a lot of the details (by hiding those behind buttons and menus).
    There's a constant stream of questions from people who think they know Java very well in a lot of forums who in fact only know how to push specific buttons in some IDE and get terribly confused when in another IDE the compile button has another icon and they don't recognise it (no kidding) or a specific code generation "wizard" is not available to them.