Unanswered: Navigation Bar Record Count

I've been learning Access 97 for 3 weeks. I have a problem with the Navigation bar. I have a form (Orders) with a subform (OrderDetails). I only have two records entered (for testing phase). OrderID 11 has 4 lines of product entered in the order so the Navigation Bar, on the main form, shows 4records. When I added OrderID 13 with 2 additional lines the record count on the Navigation Bar raised to 6.

The first 4 clicks of the "next record" buttons show identical contents on the whole form. The 5th click the OrderID with jump to OrderID 13 then do the same thing as the previous record.

In short, every click of the "next record" equals the number of lines in the subform. If I add an additional item to the subform I gain an addition click. Thanks for any help!

Firstly...Welcome to the forum.

Secondly...I read your post three times and now I have a headache. Nothing a small Advil can't cure though.

Explain your situation again but this time take a moment and assume we can't see your computer screen and Access application project.

Environment:
    Self Taught In ALL Environments.....And It Shows!

Thank you for responding. I have an order form with a subform embedded. The subform contains the order details: Part Number, Quantity, Price, Ext. Price.

On the main form with the Order Number there is a navigation bar at the bottom. It shows that there are 6 records. In reality I have only two orders, number 11 and number 13. Therefore, total record count should read 2 records. Currently it reads 6 records as I said before. What it is doing is showing one record for every line item (part number in the order details section) That I have.

On order 11 I have 4 items listed in the order detail section. On order 13 I have 2 items listed in the order details section. The record count should be based on the number of orders and not the number of items being ordered. On all examples of orders that I've seen that is how it works.

I want the record count to be based on the number of orders regardless of how many items (part numbers) are listed.

Sorry If this is still unclear. I can't figure out how to upload a .jpg or the actual file. I click on "manage attachments" but nothing happens. Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 59
    is your sub form bound to the parent form using order number? you say it is embedded, but that isn't neccesarily the same. So check what the parent child columns of the two reports are.

what you are describing sounds to me as if the sub form is showing all the rows in your order detail table irrespective of whaihc order you are displaying in the parent form.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I created the subform two different ways with the same result. The last one was by dragging the subform onto the main form. If I open the main form and click on the subform, the properties box shows "link child" and "link master" both set to OrderID.

Your description was closer than mine I think. Using your terminalogy, the navigation bar on the main form is counting the total rows in the order details.

I worked it out thanks all. I must have had double information in the query that the main form was based on. I created a new query with less information and it fixed the navigation bar issue.