Thread: Oracle 20g XE

Unanswered: Oracle 20g XE

Hi folks,

we've got the following Problem:

Our current oracle databases (8 and 9 so far) use the WE8ISO8859P1 character set.

Now we are trying to setup a 10g XE environment (for small applications!)
    The characterset after installation is AL32UTF8.

I guess that is the reason, why our application shows an error (32637) while trying to store encrypted passwords (like this: 'wj[`cž]<Jx>b') into the database using a simple

UPDATE XYZ Set Password = 'wj[`cž]<Jx>b' WHERE ID = 1;

So how do I change the charset to WE8ISO8859P1 ? ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET WE8ISO8859P1 shows an error (new character set must be a superset of old character set)

Is there any other possible reason why this error could show up?

Our environment: Oracle 10gXE
    Client database access via Gupta (former Centura) Team Developer 3.1

Thanks for your help!

If you don't set up the client character set value, the default value is the Database one, so here Oracle certainly guesses that the client character set is AL32UTF8, while your program does use WE8ISO8859P1. Note that this is not an XE-only issue, but a general Oracle issue.

What if you set your NLS_LANG environment variable to something like :

AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1

Change the language and territory at will but this tells Oracle that the character set used on the client is WE8ISO8859P1, so that Oracle will automatically convert your strings data to the database character set.

BTW what is the exact error code you are getting (I find nothing for ORA-32637) ?

As for changing the DB charset, Oracle XE is very restrictive : there is a "Western European" download and a "Universal" download. The first one uses WE8ISO8859P1 and the second one uses AL32UTF8, but AFAIK you can't change once XE is installed.

HTH & Regards,

rbaraer
    ORA-000TK : No bind variable detected... Shared Pool Alert code 5 - Nuclear query ready .

Well I just change to 10g XE Western European and it works fine know, without changing the character set.

But what about the optimizer_goal being obsolete ? Doesn't Oracle 10g use the optimizer_goal setting any longer ?

Btw.: ORA-32637: Self cyclic rule in sequential order MODEL

Quote Originally Posted by don.zwiebel
    Well I just change to 10g XE Western European and it works fine know, without changing the character set.
    Well you changed the database character set by installing this version, didn't you .

Quote Originally Posted by don.zwiebel
    Btw.: ORA-32637: Self cyclic rule in sequential order MODEL
    I don't find error codes so often in 10g error codes that I have been used to look for 9i error messages... and this one wasn't there. Shame on me .

Sorry but I don't know the optimizer_goal parameter... Wouldn't it be OPTIMIZER_MODE by any chance ?

Regards,

rbaraer
    ORA-000TK : No bind variable detected... Shared Pool Alert code 5 - Nuclear query ready .

Quote Originally Posted by RBARAER
    Well you changed the database character set by installing this version, didn't you .
    Yes, I did But it is not the on I wanted to get. It's some kinda WE8MSWIN...something

Quote Originally Posted by RBARAER
    Sorry but I don't know the optimizer_goal parameter... Wouldn't it be OPTIMIZER_MODE by any chance ?
    Well I'm gonna try this.