Unanswered: help with extracting info from sql database

The situation is I need info from a certain SharePoint site that is in a sql database. The problem is The SharePoint site currently contains data from 9 different projects, all using the same database. The database is a complex setup and it would not be an easy operation to extract the special information alone. The database is run with Microsoft SQL and is comprised of 4 separate databases. 3 databases organize the data (500+mb of data total) and 1 stores the data for all the sites (12.5+GB and increasing at a rate of 100-300mb per day).

How can I get the special data I need from this setup???

Please help

Provided Answers: 11
    What "Special Data"? Do you mean something like a particular document? The author/last updated date of a document? Membership or permissions in a particular site? Or just a reading of how big the database is?

When I say 'special' I mean the info from the SharePoint site I need to extract the info from.

Provided Answers: 54
    Getting SharePoint's "special data" out of a database is a trick. You really need to use a portlet designed for it, or some rather sophisticated .NET code since SQL Server doesn't understand the concept of special data at all. The database itself stores the SharePoint data in a hive-like structure that is much more sophisticated than the Windows Registry, but you can see the ancestory...

While the article is old, this might help you. You'll really need to understand the whole thing, even though the specific part you really want is toward the end.

-PatP