Unanswered: TNS:Unable to connect the destination

Hi,

I had installed the ORACLE 8i and DEV 6i on WINDOWS 2000 Professional, I have P4 2.93 GHz. when I successfully installed oracle 8i than I installed Dev 6i in different folder on same machine, After the installation when I am trying to connect to oracle from forms , the error message "Ora-12203 TNS:Unable to connect the destination" appear, Can anybody please help me about this concern.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Hamidqazi; 05-23-06 at 04:39.

Provided Answers: 4
    As a first aid, go to \network\admin directory into which you installed database. Select TNSNAMES.ORA, SQLNET.ORA and LISTENER.ORA and copy them into \network\admin directory into which you installed Developer Suite.

Don't forget to make backup copies of original files!

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefoot
    As a first aid, go to \network\admin directory into which you installed database. Select TNSNAMES.ORA, SQLNET.ORA and LISTENER.ORA and copy them into \network\admin directory into which you installed Developer Suite.

I did copy all these files to developer folder but unfortunately still problem not solved.

Can you connect to the database through SQL*Plus?

Can you connect to the database through SQL*Plus?
    Yes I can connect to SQL* Plus

This is description of the error; is any of suggested actions helpful?
    ORA-12203 TNS:unable to connect to destination

Cause: Invalid TNS address supplied or destination is not listening. This error can also occur because of underlying network transport problems.

Action: Verify that the service name you entered on the command line was correct. Ensure that the listener is running at the remote node and that the ADDRESS parameters specified in TNSNAMES.ORA are correct. Finally, check that all Interchanges needed to make the connection are up and running.

This is description of the error; is any of suggested actions helpful?
    How can I perform these actions , Can you explain me please.

Let's assume, just as an example, that you are connecting to "scott/tiger@ora8".

At the Command prompt, issue TNSPING; it should look like this (if everything is OK - database is reachable):
    Code:
    M:\>tnsping ora8

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.0.1.4.1 - Production on 23-SVI-20
    06 14:01:23

Copyright (c) 1997 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
    C:\OraHome10gDS\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
    Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)
    (HOST = oracle_host_name)(PORT = 1522))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)))
    OK (60 msec)

M:\>
    If you get, as a result, something like "TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name", check your TNSNAMES.ORA file - see whether address (under HOST) is correct. If an alias is used, you might also check \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and see if there's a corresponding entry, for example

192.168.12.32 oracle_host_name

If not, and you know the database server IP address, enter it either into the hosts file, or use IP address in TNSNAMES.ORA file.

Let's assume, just as an example, that you are connecting to "scott/tiger@ora8".

At the Command prompt, issue TNSPING; it should look like this (if everything is OK - database is reachable):
    Code:
    M:\>tnsping ora8

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.0.1.4.1 - Production on 23-SVI-20
    06 14:01:23

Copyright (c) 1997 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
    C:\OraHome10gDS\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

Used TNSNAMES adapter to resolve the alias
    Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)
    (HOST = oracle_host_name)(PORT = 1522))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)))
    OK (60 msec)

M:\>
    If you get, as a result, something like "TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name", check your TNSNAMES.ORA file - see whether address (under HOST) is correct. If an alias is used, you might also check \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and see if there's a corresponding entry, for example

192.168.12.32 oracle_host_name

If not, and you know the database server IP address, enter it either into the hosts file, or use IP address in TNSNAMES.ORA file.
    Thank you very much for your help and spending time, now I have uninstalled the ORACLE 8i and DEVELOPER, I will try to reinstall same can you tell me how I can reinstall.
    If it is possible please tell me all steps of installation, I need to install ORACLE 8i and DEVELOPER 6i on windows 2000 professional (P4 2.94 GHz.), I need to install database and Developer on same machine.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to delete all Windows REGISTRY entries which refer to previous Oracle installations.

When installing Oracle 8, there might be some problems; I'm not sure whether these steps are meaningful for your situation, but you might read them, just in case:
    1. Create a temporary directory on your server.
    2. Copy the entire contents of the Oracle RDBMS Server CD to the temporary directory created in step 1.
    3. Search the directory structure created in Step 1 for the existence of the filename symcjit.dll.
    4. Rename each copy of the symcjit.dll to symcjit.old.
    5. Run the setup.exe from the install\win32 directory (under the directory on your hard disk used in Step 1) and install Oracle 8.1.x and related products.

Once you install Oracle database, try to connect to it through SQL*Plus using standard usernames and passwords (sys/change_on_install, system/manager or scott/tiger). If it works, fine - you could try to install Developer 6i.

It should be installed without problems - just select another Oracle home (i.e. another directory). Check that you have the latest patch (if you don't have it, Developer might cause problems once you start working with it - for example, Report Builder shuts down unexpectedly). There was Patch #13 I used; I don't know whether there are another patches too.

After the Developer is installed, try to connect to the database using Developer's SQL*Plus (or Forms, but SQL*Plus spends less time). If it is unsuccessful, run Net Configuration Assistant (or whatever its name is) which *should* create valid TNSNAMES.ORA, SQLNET.ORA and LISTENER.ORA (or, you could copy them as suggested earlier).

Now it would maybe be a good idea to reboot and see if it works.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to delete all Windows REGISTRY entries which refer to previous Oracle installations.

When installing Oracle 8, there might be some problems; I'm not sure whether these steps are meaningful for your situation, but you might read them, just in case:
    1. Create a temporary directory on your server.
    2. Copy the entire contents of the Oracle RDBMS Server CD to the temporary directory created in step 1.
    3. Search the directory structure created in Step 1 for the existence of the filename symcjit.dll.
    4. Rename each copy of the symcjit.dll to symcjit.old.
    5. Run the setup.exe from the install\win32 directory (under the directory on your hard disk used in Step 1) and install Oracle 8.1.x and related products.

Once you install Oracle database, try to connect to it through SQL*Plus using standard usernames and passwords (sys/change_on_install, system/manager or scott/tiger). If it works, fine - you could try to install Developer 6i.

It should be installed without problems - just select another Oracle home (i.e. another directory). Check that you have the latest patch (if you don't have it, Developer might cause problems once you start working with it - for example, Report Builder shuts down unexpectedly). There was Patch #13 I used; I don't know whether there are another patches too.

After the Developer is installed, try to connect to the database using Developer's SQL*Plus (or Forms, but SQL*Plus spends less time). If it is unsuccessful, run Net Configuration Assistant (or whatever its name is) which *should* create valid TNSNAMES.ORA, SQLNET.ORA and LISTENER.ORA (or, you could copy them as suggested earlier).

Now it would maybe be a good idea to reboot and see if it works.
    From where I can get the specific PATCH?

Talking

i have same problem with Oracle 9i Enterprise version Release 2. i installed sqlplus as well as forms, reports. But forms, reports are not connecting to database saying some TNS Listener error like "No service running with specified SID". But actually my database is running as a service in windows and i am logging into PLSQL editor.

I copied those files as Littlefoot said. Now forms, reports connected to database. very thanks for the info. i have been waiting for long time to know this solution. i tried same with oracle 8i and forms 6i. i may check it in future with this solution.