Question Unanswered: Building a mailing list

Hi folks,

I'm building a DTS package which needs to mail a list of users nightly

The mailing list needs to be dynamic so I'm using the dynamic properties tab to populate the To, From etc. fields in an SMTP DTS task.

I need to construct a script which will run within the DTS package and build a mailing list file from a table of users in the connected db. The Dynamic properties task will then pull from this data file when populating the 'To' field.

The basic select statement is simple (e.g. SELECT email FROM employees WHERE role = 'mgr') however I need the output to be a single line of email addresses separated by commas (e.g. Email1,Email2,Email3....etc).

I'm a bit unsure on how to go about doing / writing this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Dave

Provided Answers: 6
    this would be far easier if you trashed the dts, built a stored procedure and then created a job to run the procedure.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Thought about that but my Stored Proc skills are nothing to write home about. If you have anything I could tweak to suit my needs I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Dave

Provided Answers: 1
    Try running this sql through Query Analyzer:
    Code:
    declare	@MyEmailString varchar(8000)

select	@MyEmailString = coalesce(@MyEmailString + ',', '') + coalesce(email, '')
    from	employees
    where	role = 'MGR'

select	@MyEmailString
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Thanks Blindman.

Still trying to get my head around the syntax and use of Coalesce but it works.

Thanks again,

Dave

Hi Blindman,

I need to run the code below against a MySql database.
    It works fine when I modify it for an MS SQL db however I'm getting syntax errors when running it against a MySQL (5.1.9) db.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

Provided Answers: 1
    I wouldn't be surprised if this syntax didn't work in MySQL. Try posting your question in the MySQL forum.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 54
    Lord, where's R937 when somebody mentions his favorite toy! You probably want the GROUP_CONCAT function in MySQL.

<Afterthought>
    After posting this, I realized that Rudy would probably pitch a fit, mostly because he enjoy's pitching fits. Note that I do NOT consider MySQL to be a toy, Rudy just likes to play with it because MySQL offers functions that violate the basic rules of relational algebra (such as the GROUP_CONCAT() function). This violation of hte rules doesn't make MySQL a bad product in any way, although I see it as removing MySQL from the category of Relational databases since it doesn't follow the basic rules required for a relational database.

-PatP
    Last edited by Pat Phelan; 05-25-06 at 10:51.