Unanswered: questions-Archived Logs?

Hi again

I seem to have multiple questions on logs, and the list keeps getting bigger day by day

1. If I am using INCLUDE LOGS with the online backup that I take every night, do i still need to archive my logs for recovery purposes? How does the INCLUDE LOGS option works??

2. We are using TSM to store the backup images and archived logs. IF the LOGARCHMETH1 is set to TSM, do I still need to set up USEREXIT to YES?? IF USEREXIT is not set up , are the ARCHIVE.log & USEREXIT.err still created and if yes, where are they located.

ENV: DB2 UDB v8.1 FP 7, AIX

here is a snapshot of few database configuration parameters.

Log retain for recovery status = NO
    User exit for logging status = YES

Log buffer size (4KB) (LOGBUFSZ) = 128
    Log file size (4KB) (LOGFILSIZ) = 2000
    Number of primary log files (LOGPRIMARY) = 30
    Number of secondary log files (LOGSECOND) = 20
    Changed path to log files NEWLOGPATH) =
    Path to log files = /prod1/sms/log/xyz/NODE0000/
    Overflow log path (OVERFLOWLOGPATH) =
    Mirror log path (MIRRORLOGPATH) =
    First active log file = S0000359.LOG
    Block log on disk full (BLK_LOG_DSK_FUL) = NO

Log retain for recovery enabled (LOGRETAIN) = OFF
    User exit for logging enabled (USEREXIT) = OFF

First log archive method (LOGARCHMETH1) = TSM
    Options for logarchmeth1 (LOGARCHOPT1) =
    Second log archive method (LOGARCHMETH2) = OFF
    Options for logarchmeth2 (LOGARCHOPT2) =

Thanks for all the help that I have getting from this forum I'll appreciate if somebody could recommend me some article on logs.

I can answer question #1.

You can restore the online backup that has logs included, but you cannot roll forward the database to the current time unless you have the logs created after the backup (you can only roll it forward to the backup time). The included logs are only those logs that were active during the online backup.

Sorry, I am not knowledgable about TSM.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

If you update the userexit or logretain configuration parameters logarchmeth1 will automatically be updated and vice versa. However, if you are using either userexit or logretain, logarchmeth2 must be set to OFF. IF the LOGARCHMETH1 is set to TSM, you DO NOT need to set up USEREXIT to YES. ARCHIVE.log & USEREXIT.err are located in DSMI_LOG(environment variable) directory.

Thanks again for solving my queries.

I did looked at the environment variables and I looked at the DSMI_LOG directory but I could not find the archive.log and userexit.err though I did find few other files like:

Do i need to set something so that I can see these files? or if archiving is happening these files are set up automatically?

I really would like to see them, maybe it can give me clue about the log archiving problems that we are having lately.

Thanks again!!

Tivoli administrator has to setup a NODE on Tivoliserver. On the clientside you have to setup the dsm.opt, dsm.sys elements properly; See the redbook on Backing up db2 using Tivoli. You have to setup the password and after that you have to restart your instance so it takes the DSMI ENV. parameters.
    Each time a log is archived, you see an entry in ARCHIVE.LOG. You can force a log switch by "db2 ARCHIVE LOG for db xyz" where xyz is your database