Unanswered: Idle Instance on Windows 2003

I've created several new 10.2 databases on Windows 2003. The services are all set to Automatic, however after rebooting the machine, each of the instances are idle. I can start them without any issue, but was wondering if there was a way to set these to start without any manual intervention.

The instance may be set for automatic, but are the databases set to autostart ? This is a registry entry /localmachine / software / oracle ....
    ora_xxx_autostart SET THIS TO TRUE (xxx is the sid name)

HTH
    Gregg

Yep, all entries are set to AUTOSTART=TRUE, but still it doesn't start automatically. I wonder if this is an issue on Windows 2003.

I mainly work with Unix servers but I have a Windows 2003 server running 10.2 and it starts up fine if the service is set to automatic. It installed straight out the box with no install issues. I don't remember taking any additional steps for automatic startup - the Installer appeared to do it all for me.

I would check the alert log for failed startup attempts, or the Windows Event Log for any system errors.

Nothing in the alert log, in fact, I removed the alert log, but after rebooting the machine, it doesn't even create an entry. Checked the system for any event errors and nothing.

Since there are no alert logs, that mean the database is not even finding the init file (or spfile) or even trying to startup. Check the eventlog to see if there are any indications. Other things I would look for are the directory structures proper. Where is the INIT file located? the default is oracle_home\database ... If you are setup for the database to start automatically, then ensure the init file is in the proper place. Check your registry to see where Oracle is expecting to find the init file

HTH
    Gregg

Thanks Greg, The spfile is in the correct directory, and the database starts manually without any issue. 3 instances on the box, and none start automatically, It's got me baffled...

my oradim.log states ORA-12560: TNSrotocol adapter error. Could this be trying to start the database before the listener is started?

What does your sqlnet.ora file have in it?

Problem resolved, I applied patch to 10.2.0.2 from Oracle and it resolved the issue. Thanks for your input.