Unanswered: Restart of SQL Server agent restarts SQL Server

Whenever I restart the Sql Server Agent, it causes SQL Server to restart also - is this correct ? I thought the dependency was the other way around i.e. restarting SQL Server would cause the agent to restart ? Any insights gratefully accepted.

Provided Answers: 1
    No, that is not correct. Restarting the agent should not restart the server (assuming the server is already started).

If you are trying to start the Agent without the Server running, then that would either fail or possibly start the Server, as the Agent uses server resources (msdb database, for instance).
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 11
    Simple solution is to never restart SQL Agent.

Has a dependency been created between the two services in the services applet (Control panel->Administrative tools->services->properties of SQL Agent service->dependencies tab)? There should be one and only one with SQL Agent depending on MSSQL Server.

I see ways of having jobs start when SQL Agent starts, but I don't see any way of having SQL Agent do anything on ending. This sounds bizarre.

I've checked the dependencies and they're correct in that MSSQL Server has no dependency on SQL Agent. I agree that avoiding restarting SQL Agent will avoid the problem but I'm worried that there's some issue there that should be investigated and fixed. Any other thoughts ?

Provided Answers: 11
    What messages are put in the SQL Server error log, or the Windows Application Event Log when this happens? Is it a clean shutdown of SQL Server at least?

How are you shutting down the Agent service when this happens? Also, what version/service pack is this?
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.