Thread: User passwords

Unanswered: User passwords

Is there a way to find out if a user has a password? There is a need to find out how many users have not setup their password for one of our applications developed in Access 2000.

Any help will be appreciated.

Provided Answers: 59
    not sure there is an easy function to do this, but assuming you are using Access Workgroup Security...

you could iterate each user and try to set a new password using a null string as the old password, and trap any resultant error. If theres an error then it means the password was non null, if the password is accepted then it was null. you could optrionally automatically create a new password for the users using some psuedorandom password generator - obviousloy you would also need a mechanism to find what the new password is, write to a falt file?, send an email to each user / yourself.

from what I remember you can set passwords programmatically, so it should work ok to check if its null.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

ummm.well you mentioned a good idea to iterate though the user group and try to set a new password with null as old pwd. If old pwd exists error out and log that id else <b> change to new password </b>. This will cause huge confusion as alot of people already have their passwords. I rally don't to go that route (changing exisiting password). Any other suggestions?

yes but you wont be able to change their password if its not blank. I seem to rememebr that you need toprovide the current password aswell as the new password.

it may be worthwhile looking at the adox security extensions, if you are usign ADO or the DAO collections.

Currently I am using DAO, but using ADOX won't be a problem. I did look at the ADOX and it only seem to have Changepassword method.

there is nothing in ADOX that yuou can get via the DAO collections. if you are familiar with DAO, use that. There are some significant gaps in the ADOX objects comapred tothe DAO methods.

I dunno if it is any use to you buyt i have a multi-user, multi-menu, multi-access level login system i designed for access.

It uses a table, queries and forms. Quite simple to implement and has a password change facility too.

PM me if any use.

Dan
    sometimes simple is best.... and i'm just a simple fellow.