Unanswered: Pervasive or Application issue?

Hi,

I am trying to troubleshoot a security issue we have with our accounting software. The software is AccPack. The back end is Pervasive SQL (don't know version, yet). The issue we are having is that the only way personnel can write to the database files is if the Windows everyone group is applied to the database files with write permissions. This seems to be required even when the user's domain login credentials have write permissions to the files. If we take off write permissions for the files from the Everyone group, the users cannot write data to the files. It's only when the Everyone group has write permissions that users can actually update the files. Does this sound to anyone like a Pervasive SQL setting or something in the application. I am asking this because I have never used Pervasive and don't know anything about it. Any help would be appreciated, including pointers to good Pervasive tech resources. Thanks in advance.

Grant

Provided Answers: 4
    The best resources for Pervasive information is the Pervasive site (http://www.pervasive.com).
    As far as your question, what error is returned when the Everyone group doesn't have rights?
    Pervasive, in most cases, uses the user's OS rights. If the user has rights, it should work.
    Here's a test:
    1. Remove the Everyone Group from the Pervasive DEMODATA (in PVSW\DEMODATA on the server).
    2. Give rights to a specific user.
    3. Log in on a client with the user from step 2.
    4. Open the Pervasive FUnction Executor.
    5. Open the Class file (PVSW\DEMODATA\CLASS.MKD).
    6. Change the "Op Code" to 12 (Get First) and press Execute.
    7. Change the "Op Code" to 3 (Update) and press Execute.
    Does that return an error code? If so, what is it? If it works, the problem may be in the AccPac application.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Talking Security

Make sure that the "system" account on the server has full control of the files as well as the user.
    You will then be able to remove the "everyone" group.
    Dave Holt
    IRIS Enterprise Software Ltd

Provided Answers: 4
    Good point Dave. That is especially true if you are using NTFS (as opposed to FAT32).
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.