I currently have a position available. Princeton Information Ltd. is a prime vendor for major financial firms in NY/NJ for both consulting and full time positions, including but not limited to Merrill Lynch, JPMorgan Chase, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse, and HSBC. We are within the top 4 privately held IT Consulting Firms nationwide, and have approx. 1,000 consultants on billing.
Please send an updated resume in MS-Word format and let me know when the best time to contact you is.
Please review the position below and let me know what you think.
Position Title: Teradata Database Administrator
Position Objective: Implements and maintains the DB environment. Primary function is to monitor and maintain a production Teradata database environment, including runtime optimization, capacity management and planning, security, configuration, scheduling, and execution of maintenance utilities. Major NCR tools include Teradata WinDDI, Teradata Manager, Teradata Query Manager, and Teradata's Priority Scheduler. Maintains user tables and permissions. Trains Client DBAs on administering Client-specific solutions. The DBA is also responsible for database recovery and restart as well as data and referential integrity of the database.
Major Opportunities and Decisions:
Provides technical support for the most critical and complex projects and/or acts as a technical advisor to project teams providing novel approaches and technical insights.
Candidate will be required to:
- Have experience as Teradata Production or Application DBA in a large environment.
- Current experience with v2r5 Teradata Systems
- Experience using Teradata Manager to monitor and manage Teradata RDBMS resource utilization, and create alert policies for monitoring database space, average disk use.
- Experience and knowledge of priority scheduler
- Experience with:
Priority Scheduler in v2r5 environment
Establishing and managing end user security procedures
Teradata Tools and Utilities
- Design, creating and tuning physical database objects (tables, views, indexes) to support normalized and dimensional models. Maintain the referential integrity of the database.
- Provide ongoing support of the environment by developing processes and executing object migrations, security and access privilege setup, and performance monitoring.
- Must have a broad knowledge of diverse data administration methodologies, and tools.
- Runtime optimization, capacity management and planning, security, configuration, scheduling, and execution of maintenance utilities.
- Implement multi-value compression.
- In-depth knowledge of Teradata Explain and Visual Explain to analyze and improve query performance.
- Expert level knowledge of complex SQL using Teradata functions, UDFs, macros and stored procedures
- Understanding of Data Warehouse Metadata concepts, tools and repositories.
- Drive planning and execution of hardware/software upgrades and expansion.
- Shell scripting, system tuning and troubleshooting on UNIX.
- Knowledge of database recovery and restart procedures is desirable.
- Monitor database and periodic performance tuning.
- Manage user access and implements/ensures security requirements are met.
- Excellent oral and written communications and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical skills to identify and resolve problems and ability to effectively apply a broad range of professional concepts, practices and methods in moderately complex and diverse circumstances.
- Strong interpersonal skill set - ability to work effectively within the technical and business realm is required.
The above description includes most significant duties performed. However, other occasional work assignments not mentioned are assumed to be included. Management reserves the right to assign and/or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Dimension: (Using dollars and/or numbers, list the pertinent statistics of the position which clarify major areas of impact.)
The candidate must be a senior level Teradata DBA and must be proficient in Teradatada tools Teradata WinDDI, Teradata Manager, Teradata Query Manager, and Teradata's Priority Scheduler, BTEQ etc. Knowledge of database recovery and restart procedures is desirable.
Participates in key design meetings with development teams, assists in the development of technical strategy. Translates technical information to concepts that are understood by the particular audience, including IT and business leadership.
Maintains a network of peers in their field to improve ability to solve system problems, and utilize best practices.
Leads the analysis and assessment of new technologies, producing requests for information and requests for proposals.
Understands the overall Large Scale Data Warehousing infrastructure and individual components.
Education and Experience: (Identify types and length of education and experience needed to acquire the necessary skills and knowledge to accomplish the desired end results.)
BA/BS Degree or equivalent experience, preferably in Computer Science.
Must have a minimum 5 years DBA experience with 3 years as a Teradata DBA in a senior capacity performing development, administration, implementation and support in a production Data Warehousing environment. Experience in a large-scale, insurance industry warehouse is a plus.
Other Requirements: (Consider other specific requirements essential to the successful performance of position responsibilities and accountabilities, e.g., travel. Identify the frequency of action and weight involved with the physical demands of essential functions performed by the position, if applicable. Occasional 0-33% of time; Frequent – 34-66% of time; Constant – 67-100% of time)
Duration is 6 months plus in the New York office. Immediate need