Unanswered: dblink informix-oracle migration

Hi guys...

in our company we need to migrate data from informix to oracle and somebody advice me to use dblink, but I have a few question before decide to use it or not, these are:

could we develop a scheduled job so that we can have it run every day automatically.??

it is posibble to implement it with oracle lite..??

I've searched through the web but couldn't find a tutotal, manual or a complete example on how to do it

or maybe you can suggest another piece of software to achieve this task

thanks in advance...

Provided Answers: 4
    I thought that migration process occurs only ONCE and, when done, production is in new database (Oracle in your example). Your post suggests that you'd migrate data every day (all of data? Only part of it?); is this correct? If so, why would you do that? It seems that you'd work on Informix and, sometime later in the evening, migrate data to Oracle.

Oracle supports scheduled jobs (or you can use your operating system scheduling utility too); there is DBMS_SCHEDULER (in 10g) which offers improvements over DBMS_JOB (from earlier Oracle versions).

Here is documentation about Oracle 9i Lite; check it and see whether it is helpful or not.

Quote Originally Posted by raulcabrerar
    somebody advice me to use dblink
    A database link is an Oracle feature that allows one database to query tables in another, so yes this could be useful in a migration exercise. The tricky part will be getting it to connect to Informix, though it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by raulcabrerar
    it is posibble to implement it with oracle lite..??
    Oracle Lite is for mobile devices. Is this a handheld application?

LittleFoot, Willian R....

your're right It's not really a migration process, cause we need to keep that new database updated in a dayly basis, in which we'll add some extra data by a sort of equivalent table (asociative foreig key)!!! and I'sorry but what I really meant was oracle 10g express not Oracle Lite

thanks to both of you....

I never heard about connecting an Oracle database with a non-Oracle database using a dblink, I think that's a feature only available inside Oracle.
    What about Oracle Transparent Gateways?

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pro...ays/index.html
    http://www.oracle.com/technology/pro...y_rel2_ds.html

Quote Originally Posted by DKG
    I never heard about connecting an Oracle database with a non-Oracle database using a dblink, I think that's a feature only available inside Oracle.
    What about Oracle Transparent Gateways?
    From the documentation for CREATE DATABASE LINK:

Use the CREATE DATABASE LINK statement to create a database link. A database link is a schema object in one database that enables you to access objects on another database. The other database need not be an Oracle Database system. However, to access non-Oracle systems you must use Oracle Heterogeneous Services.
    Oracle Heterogeneous Services = Oracle Transparent Gateway

thanks to both of you, now I have a better idea of that project