I've writen an vb application wich uses an access db. I am working on remote machines by accessing the data from access db which is stays on server. the remote systems access the db with the application I've wrote, in the same time they are performing modifications like adding, updating and deleting records. The problem is that sometime the windows crashes on the computer accessing my remote db. I think the problem is that the access db is on the server and more remote apps trying to modify it in the same time, and access doesn't support this so good. Please give me some advises to try to avoid this problem. I am using permanent open connection and recordset. Is there any solution for avoid this problem?
I have only limited knowledge about the implecations of networks. I've been running several shared access d/b's for years without any problems. But basic points to note (if you're not already aware):
- I only have 4/5 users (I understand Access has a problem with too many users say 10+)
- D/B's must be split into front/back end. If you try and share the same front end it will work but it will ultimately end in tears. So distribute the front end locally
- Only allow users to edit data through forms
- use pessimistic locking which ensures that only one user at a time can edit the record.
- you mention recordsets. I'm not sure how you lock records with recordsets (but I'm sure somebody does!).
Is your problem with crashing replicated on other users PC's ? If not then I would question your windows setup rather than the Access d/b.