Question Unanswered: Migrating Btrieve to SQLServer

Hi,

I am in the process of evaluating options to migrate the database of a Delphi 4.0 application from Btrieve to SQLServer. I am not wary about the data migration per se, but largely anxious about the data access layer implications. This Delphi Application accesses the Btrieve database using Titan software. Could some one help me with what would be required to migrate from a Titan-Btrieve approach to a normal ODBC based SQLServer access ?
    Last edited by Mridula; 05-30-06 at 12:13. Reason: Typo

Provided Answers: 4
    Migrating from "Btrieve" to MS SQL basically means rewriting your code.
    COnverting from Titan/Btrieve to MS SQL means switching to ODBC or OLEDB (through BDE, ADO, or something similar). You'll need to change every data access call. Once the app is converted, you'll need to convert the database.
    Have you started and if so, are you having problems?
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Ok I now understand.. Given that Titan accesses Btrieve using the Btrieve API, the data layer would definitely be impacted. But could you please advice, what would be best approach towards this move ? Should we opt for ODBC/OLEDB ? Also for either of the approaches, what is the data access APIs available ?

Thanks, mridula

Provided Answers: 4
    Actually, I can't offer any suggestions. I've not really dealt with SQL Server. I prefer (and still use) Pervasive/Btrieve.
    For my web stuff that I've used MS SQL, I've used both OLEDB and ODBC with equal results.
    You need to decide how much of the code you want / can reuse and whether or not you are going to keep using Delphi 4. Once you've decided which dev tool you are going to use, then you can decide on the data access method you are going to use.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Thanks again..
    This is a pretty old application and there is no immediate plans to have the Application layer migrate from Delphi. That would remain, the plan for now is to migrate the database from Btrieve to SQL Server with minimal impact to code.

Given this situation, I have to pursue options to access SQL Server from Delphi - so need to identify best access methodology as a first step to SQL server implementation