Unanswered: Switchboard to open new blank form

Just curious. I'm trying to set up a switchboard to guide users to the right place in my database. I would like to have one button on the switchboard to open a standard form with all the infomation in it already. and then I would like to have a button to open a form that is blank and then adds to the previous form I mentioned.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Provided Answers: 19
    You're adding overhead to your app and complicating things for your users! Why not simply have the one form, and add an Add Record command button for your users to press?
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

I'm a newbiew when it comes to Access. How do I go about just adding a button to do that? I've tried playing around with macros and haven't found how yet.

Provided Answers: 19
    Rule # 1: Leave macros alone! They're trouble!

On your form's properties,under Data:

Allow Edits YES
    Allow Deletes YES
    Allow Additions YES

Place a command button on your form. Name it AddRcord. On your button's properties, under EVENT, click to the right of On Click (outside of the white box), then click on the ellipse (...). You'll see a sub named Sub AddRcord_Click(). Place this code there:

Private Sub AddRcord_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_AddRcord_Click
    Me.AllowAdditions = True
    DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec

Exit_AddRcord_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_AddRcord_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_AddRcord_Click

End Sub
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Talking

Missinglinq is right, you don't need a macro to accomplish what you need. (Though They are very useful for other things!)

You can create a ADD Record button to your from using the wizard.

In the form you need the button,
    • Create a new button,
    • Select Records Operations,
    • Select Add New Record

This will give you then the option of a) using an icon or b) using text, just choose whichever suits you.

This is the same as before but puts the code in for you. Also you may not need to edit for properties, as these should already be set to allow all edits/additions etc.
    sometimes simple is best.... and i'm just a simple fellow.

Thanks...

missingling and danlindley,

thank you very much for your guidance. I've been slowly learning Access with the great help of forums like this one. Truly appreciate the help.

Now if there was an internet bar, I'd be buying the rounds this time...

I've got another question for you if I may ask in this thread.

I've got a query set up in a form to view the results of that query. Is there a way to set up a form with drop down boxes that have all the data from a table to use as criteria and then have a "refresh" button to apply the given information into that same form?