Unanswered: Access Database Synchronization

Hi,

I am developing vb6 application using Access database. The database is stays on server system and all other remote systems access data from the servser system and manipulating(Add, Update, Delete, Insert operations) on the same database. I need to synchronize remote machines while modifying same table. Is there any solution? Pls Help me?

Quote Originally Posted by sabitha BS
    Hi,

I am developing vb6 application using Access database. The database is stays on server system and all other remote systems access data from the servser system and manipulating(Add, Update, Delete, Insert operations) on the same database. I need to synchronize remote machines while modifying same table. Is there any solution? Pls Help me?
    I'm trying to decypher just what you want.

First, we would need to know the environment. Are you using a LAN, where the remote (client) machines could map a network drive to the folder containing the common Access data file, or are you thinking internet access?

You say you need to "synchronize" the remote machines while modifying the "same table"

Do you envision the remote machines being connected to the central data file AND being connected to a local data file sultaneously? And, updating both at the same time? If so, why do you think you need both a central datafile AND a remote data file?

This type of activity (syncronizing local and remote databases) is known as "replication." Access is generally difficult to use in replication, as it's autonumbering capabilities are so much less flexible than those of true database servers. Because of this, it's difficult to create local primary keys on multiple clients that are guaranteed not to violate unique key constraints in the "parent" database.

Have you considered installing MSDE (the free, "lite" version of SQL Server) on the server? This would let you add database clients that can either access the data server over a LAN, or over the internet via TCP/IP. Access cannot be accessed via URL access, unless you do so indirectly, using a web server-side process (with ASP/PHP)
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Exclamation

I need to know whether the table is connected by remote user or not. Is there any solution. Pls help me its urgent.

Quote Originally Posted by sabitha BS
    I need to know whether the table is connected by remote user or not. Is there any solution. Pls help me its urgent.
    There is no way to tell. You can see if someone else is using the database, but not what table they are using.

Ref Who's on First???

Pls help me its urgent.
    In order for us to help you, you need to provide more information, no matter how "urgent" it is.

Is the Access database on a FILE server? Or a web server?

And, what are you trying to accomplish with your application??? As I said before, Access is generally not a good fit when you are talking about replication.
    Last edited by loquin; 06-05-06 at 14:56.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert