Unanswered: Selecting first 25 records of group

In an Access query, how do get only the first 25 records per group in a set of groups that have 25 or more records each?

I will be happy to try and explain this with more detail if this isn't clear. Thanks for any help offered.

More detail would probably be good...

If you are just looking for a single Group, then you can use SELECT TOP 25 * FROM ...

If you have a finite set of groups the Easiest thing to do might be to just use a UNION query to join the SELECT Top 25 query for each of your categories.

I'm not sure if there is a way to create a Dynamic Query that will return the top 25 for each group regardless of the number of groups. In SQL Server you could use a Cursor to dynamically create the UNION queries, but that doesn't help you much here...
    --wayne
    SELECT * FROM Users WHERE Clue>0
    0 rows returned

Selecting first 25 of a group

Thank you Wayne. Yes, the problem is that there are muliple groups and I need to select the first 25 from each group. If more detail is required, let me know.

I think Wayne has already provided the answer. For multiple queries your sql will look like:

SELECT TOP 25 * FROM groupA
    UNION
    SELECT TOP 25 * FROM groupB
    UNION
    SELECT TOP 25 * FROM groupC
    etc..

The fields you select from each table must be of the same data type.

Chris

You can do this with n groups (i.e. an unknown number) without dynamic SQL. The difficult bit is the "first 25 records per group". You need to define "first" in an order by clause. Sample SQL:

Code:
    SELECT My_ID, My_Group_Field
    FROM MyTable
    WHERE  My_ID IN (SELECT TOP 25 My_ID
           FROM  MyTable B
           WHERE  B.My_Group_Field = dbo.MyTable.My_Group_Field
        ORDER BY My_ID)
    ORDER BY My_Group_Field, My_ID
    HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

I knew there was a way to get there, but that's not one I tried last night ...

I was also trying to avoid something where it ran the select for each row in the databse. If there is a large number of records, it's efficient for coding, but is very inefficient on the processor...
    --wayne
    SELECT * FROM Users WHERE Clue>0
    0 rows returned