Unanswered: I need help with importing an excel file

I'm using the import spreadsheet wizard to import an excel file into an access table. I got import errors for 2 fields that were set up as general in excel. Both fields have numbers and occasionally letters in them but are really text fields. I changed both fields to text in excel but I still get the same errors. How come I can't go into the data type field in the wizard to change to text?

Quote Originally Posted by wab777
    I'm using the import spreadsheet wizard to import an excel file into an access table. I got import errors for 2 fields that were set up as general in excel. Both fields have numbers and occasionally letters in them but are really text fields. I changed both fields to text in excel but I still get the same errors. How come I can't go into the data type field in the wizard to change to text?

try linking to the excel spreadsheet just like you would an external table. once the excel sheet is linked, run a maketable query on it.

That didn't work. after linking, the fields show up as text data type in excel but number in access. I tried to change the data type of the table after linking but I got the error "Microsoft Access can't save property changes for linked tables."

Maybe the best thing to do is to copy and paste. A new access table only has 10 columns in my db but the excel file has 26. Can I change the new table property to increase the columns to 26? Then I think I could copy and paste and the properties would transfer accurately from excel to access.

Thanks.

Try importing the Excel file as a new Acess table, and let it import the data types as it likes. Then, in the new table, change the data formats to what you need. From there you can write a query to append those records to the table where you want them.

Another option would be to export (save-as) the Excel file to CSV, then import the csv into Access.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

go with loquin!
    via CSV you avoid Mr Gates making foolish guesses based on the first few rows of data - you have total control.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

I've been known to create the fields i needs then import them through copy and paste (column at a time) into the database table.

if you have 26 fields then it shouldn't take too long, only a couple of minutes.

Just make sure that you create the new db table with the required amount of fields that you are taking from the excel spreadsheet.

Dan
    sometimes simple is best.... and i'm just a simple fellow.