Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: What is the best way to transfer data?

I would like to transfer data from an SQL Server 2000(standard edition) on a server located outside of the department TO a laptop/notebook using MSDE located within the department. This will be 1 or 2 times a year of transfering the data from a server to a laptop. So what are some ways or the best ways of transferring data?

Thanks,

Don

Provided Answers: 54
    For twice a year, I'd backup the data on the server and restore it onto the laptop (assuming that it is even possible to have the database on MSDE, there is a pretty strict 2 Gb limit).

-PatP

Well, it will only be a starting point. Once a lot of people start using it and adding more data to the SQL Server, we will switch to SQL Server.

Currently, I'm trying to find the easiest way for a user to transfer data for their laptop. Say if a hurricane hit the location, they will still want to be able to use the application offline. Anyways, if the user use the same backup file twice, will it append or overwrite the database?

The backup/restore solution will completely over-write any data that exists when you do a restore. It is a complete "move" of the data from one machine to the other.

Backing away from the technical details for the moment, can you explain in business terms what you want to do? It feels like we're "putting the cart before the horse" by going directly to your technical options.

-PatP

Can you give the answers of following questions.?

1. Have your database structure changing frequently..?
    2. Is the data entry happening at remote users end..? (It includes new data entry in the master parameters / data.)

If the answer is 'Yes' for both above questions, you need to do number of things for deploy your database to remote users.

If I am understaning your requirements, reply.... I could help you....

Quote Originally Posted by rajeshpatel
    Can you give the answers of following questions.?

1. Have your database structure changing frequently..?
    2. Is the data entry happening at remote users end..? (It includes new data entry in the master parameters / data.)

If the answer is 'Yes' for both above questions, you need to do number of things for deploy your database to remote users.

If I am understaning your requirements, reply.... I could help you....
    1.) NO, but it will be in the future. It will be a one time update like a new version.

2.) NO, data entry will happen on the web server. All the data that is transfer to the notebook/laptop is just for viewing purpose only. Example, if an hurricane hit, the client needs a way to be able to view the data offline.

If I'm still unclear on something, please bear with me on trying to explain it to you all. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    For twice a year, I'd backup the data on the server and restore it onto the laptop (assuming that it is even possible to have the database on MSDE, there is a pretty strict 2 Gb limit).

-PatP
    Since the MSDE doesn't have a interface like the SQL Server, how do you import the backup file to the MSDE. I have did a research online about and I don't any answer for it.

I'd use the Transact SQL RESTORE DATABASE command using either OSQL or a user written program.

-PatP

Will the laptop ever leave the building?

Is there information in the database that should not be seen by prying eyes?

Do you work for the VA, Checkpoint, Hotels.com, or any other organization that should protect secure data?

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Tell them to stop being so cheap...buy or rent a box, dump the database nightly to that remote location and restore it there every night...lap top indeed
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Hurrincane?

Is this a Key West Gig?

Say hi to Jimmy for me
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by tomh53
    Will the laptop ever leave the building?

-Yes

Is there information in the database that should not be seen by prying eyes?

-Yes, but codes has been created for only users that is only to view the private data.

Do you work for the VA, Checkpoint, Hotels.com, or any other organization that should protect secure data?

-Yes, data is very important to be secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser
    Tell them to stop being so cheap...buy or rent a box, dump the database nightly to that remote location and restore it there every night...lap top indeed
    -It's not being cheap. Just trying to impress the higher rank with the application. Don't need to dump the data every night. Maybe just once or twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser
    Hurrincane?

Is this a Key West Gig?

Say hi to Jimmy for me
    Nope, sorry I don't work there. I work for the law enforcement.

If you are using it for data viewing only then good idea is dump the database file & attach it using stored procedure sp_attach_db.

But as you are using MSDE, your database size should be upto 2 GB only.

Do you mean "dump the database" as in making a backup for the database? If not, could explain it to me because I'm not an expert in SQL Server.

Quote Originally Posted by lansing
    Do you mean "dump the database" as in making a backup for the database? If not, could explain it to me because I'm not an expert in SQL Server.
    I understood dump database means make a copy of database...
    For dump a database I knew only one method, for this you need to follow below instruction. Pass the following commands in query analyzer.

1. Be sure that no any users is using database.

2. Pass this commands in query analyzer.
    use master
    go

-- use your database name in following stored procedures
    EXEC sp_dboption 'database name', 'offline', 'true'
    go

3. Copy database on any other drive / device.

4. For bring you database online...

-- use your database name in following stored procedures
    EXEC sp_dboption 'database name', 'offline', 'false'
    go

5. Take your copied database on CD / DVD/ any other device.
    6. Attach it using sp_attach_db store procedure, on your remote laptop / notebook.

For exploring store procedure's options use transact sql help from query analyzer.

Above process will help you as well as you can manage it as you said that you want to update your remote machines 1 or 2 times in a year.