Unanswered: Enterprise Manager

Hi,

My Question is regarding the Query Analyzer.

When we click on the Query Analyzer Shortcut, it will prompt for a user id and password.but when we expand the databases node from EM and clicks on Tools->Query Analyzer Menu, after selecting a database node, the QA does not prompt for the user id and password. Can any one explain this behaviour of QA..

I am using Mixed mode authentication for my db server.
    Cheers....

baburajv

Provided Answers: 54
    Enterprise Mangler launches QA using the same credentials used for the database connection being used by Enterprise Mangler.

-PatP

could you please elaborate..
    Cheers....

baburajv

'Enterprise Mangler'.... nice

In order to have access to a database through the EM, you first have to register that server - selecting the server name, login name and password to establish a connection.

When you launch QA through the EM, you are doing it through an already established connection, the login & password are already there.

A simplified explanation, theres probably a more technical one than i would be able to provide, but it should give you a basic answer to what you're asking.

Quote Originally Posted by baburajv
    could you please elaborate..

When you register a database in Enterprise Manager, you have to enter in the credentials you wish to use. If you right click on the server node (in EM) and select Edit SQL Server Registration Properties, you will see the credentials you used to register the database.

When launching Query Analyzer (QA) from EM, QA simply re-uses these credentials.

I have seen posted somewhere code that will hack your registry to find the username and passwords for all the nodes in your EM console. Just something to think about.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Provided Answers: 1
    When you expand the database node and launch Query Analyzer, Enterprise Manager assumes you want to run a query on the server and in the database you have selected (expanded). Without selecting/expanding a database in Enterprise Manager, it has no idea what server and database you want to use, so it has to prompt you.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Thank you very much...
    Cheers....

baburajv