Unanswered: Insert a space into character field

Hi

one of my users has a table which contains a field for postcode. the quality of this data is exceptionally poor, and I'm after running an update query to improve the data. Currently we have records where the Postcode field contains:

Example 1 AB123CD
    Example 2 AB12 3CD
    Example 3 <no data present>

Example 2 is correctly formatted, so I want to run a script which will insert a space before the 3rd character from the right except where a space already exists (i.e. as in Example 2).

Any guidance gratefully received (or if more info required please let me know)

Thanks

update my_table
    set postcode = substr(postcode,1,length(poscode)-3)||' '||substr(postcode,-3)
    where substr(postcode,-3,1) <> ' ';
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Thanks Beilstwh. I have tried this but am getting an error message which I assume means the data is dirtier than I anticipated. The error is

[code]
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-01401: inserted value too large for column
    [\code]

As the field is formatted to 8 characters, I guess some records contain a string of 8 characters (with no space) - this is a data quality error and would need to be looked at before running the update as described. Is there a way that I can select the records where the Postcode field is populated with 8 characters and does not have a space before the 3rd to last character? This would allow me to address this issue before attempting to run the Update

sure,
    To fix the update simply use

update my_table
    set postcode = substr(postcode,1,length(poscode)-3)||' '||substr(postcode,-3)
    where substr(postcode,-3,1) <> ' '
    and length(postcode) < 8;

To find the problem items

select postcode
    from mytable
    where substr(postcode,-3,1) <> ' '
    and length(postcode) = 8;
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Just the job! Thanks

In 10g there is also REGEXP_REPLACE.

Thanks for the heads up.