Unanswered: grouping by same words in a report

Hey guys,

Trying to write a report that takes in certian feilds from different tables..what I need to know is lets say that I have a bunch of different products..

Example:

1/2" PVC Pipe
    3" PVC Pipe
    5.5" PVC Pipe
    10' Copper Pipe
    25' Copper Pipe
    ect.

but these items are currently tied in with inventory numbers and are in various spots on the report..

Is there a way, to have it group these items by a common word between the items?? for example if I wanted to group all the PVC Pipes I have and then all the copper ones, and then all the brass pipes is there a way to do this within the report?

If ya need more of a description let me know I'll do my best in giving you one..

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Smythe1000
    Hey guys,

Trying to write a report that takes in certian feilds from different tables..what I need to know is lets say that I have a bunch of different products..

Example:

1/2" PVC Pipe
    3" PVC Pipe
    5.5" PVC Pipe
    10' Copper Pipe
    25' Copper Pipe
    ect.

but these items are currently tied in with inventory numbers and are in various spots on the report..

Is there a way, to have it group these items by a common word between the items?? for example if I wanted to group all the PVC Pipes I have and then all the copper ones, and then all the brass pipes is there a way to do this within the report?

If ya need more of a description let me know I'll do my best in giving you one..

Thanks in advance

you need another field in your product table to desc the category of the product. for example "pipe". Then you would group by that field.

otherwise you could use a combination of the string functions (like mid) to parse out each word in the description and then group by that expression.