Thread: Stange question

Unanswered: Stange question

I need to find a way to do this.

I need to be able to enter a list of sites and times in a table, and then have them viewable on another form so they can be checked off on that form.

The check boxes do not need to be stored, and the form that displays the times and sites can clear once it is closed.

The table is named ---> SiteTime
    and the form is named ---> SiteCheck

any suggestions
    Will Dove
    working hard is better then hardly working ...

Quote Originally Posted by saileast
    The check boxes do not need to be stored
    Hi

I'm afraid they do. If they are not stored then they cannot be associated with specific records. Out of curiosity (since it is not obvious from the post) - what is the purpose of checking certain records but not requiring those checks to persist?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Post Reason

We have about 60 sites that we must track each night when an officer calls in for his/her shift. The check boxes are just need to assist the dispatch officer in ensuring that the site officer has called in at a quick glance.

Example:

Time: Sites:
    2000 #1, #2, #3, #4
    2100 #5, #6, #7
    2200 #8, #9, #10, #11

The dispatch officer recieves a call from each site when the officers arrives, by radio or by phone, and enters the officers name, call time and site location into the database. The officer has 27 sites that start at 2300 and needs to be able to answer the calls quickly, thus the check boxes. The dispatcher can simply check the boxes whent the call comes in and check off the site. Once all the sites for that time period call in the dispatcher can verify that the sites are covered at a glance, and then input the data, or start making calls to the officer / site to find the officer. it also helps the Supervisors that are working to click the check box on their remote terminals, for quick reference as well.

The data entry guy/girl is not a whiz at this, and only inputs about 3 to 5 fields per min.

Once all sites are input in the system, the form genrates a report, and then the form is closed. I don't need the check boxes to stay checked, and I don't need to store the data in the data (not required for records) base. Kinda like an unbound check box for each site.

Here is the catch: as we add more sites I need the list of sites to automatically update placing the Site, start time, and check box on the list in the proper order by start time.
    Will Dove

Why not just stick the checkbox in the table and clear the data each time the form opens\ closes? You can't have an unbound checkbox to do what you want to do here. At the very least it would be difficult to do compared to having a permanent field that stores temporary data and wipes it when no longer needed.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Not sure I am following

Not sure I am following you on this..

What we have is a Form called DailySheet, where data is entered based on the sites in the sites table. What I need is for the sites in the sites table and the shiftstarttime to be displayed on the Dailysheet form, or a subform. I need it to have a checkbox next to the sites.

When we add new sites we need them to automatically display on the form or subform with a check box.

another option is to have a sub report that list the site name and starttime once the dailysheet entry is made.

But I not sure how to do either one of these.
    Will Dove

Cool

my mistake...twice clicked
    Last edited by Bud; 07-07-06 at 03:30.

Cool

Hi again saileast,

See below is kinda a problem. On the one hand you say the CheckBoxes don't need to be stored. On the other hand you say they need to be there when you view newly updated data.

The check boxes do not need to be stored

When we add new sites we need them to automatically display on the form or subform with a check box.
    OK, you're not actually Storing a checkbox, but rather the choice it represents. But it has to be there or not. You can't just have a Checkbox come into your program on a whim.
    Next, are you aware of what a SubForm is and where it resides? What will the Main form hold that will lead to the Subform?
    Maybe I should have asked this first, are you knowledgeable of Relational Databases to begin with? Some of the things you seem to want done are very simple, but then you ask for it in a complicated fashion. You ask about needing a way to [b]Enter a list of sites and times in a Table. Also, you're not storing this info but seems you print it then it goes away. What if the data was cleared out too soon, what would you do then? Data entry errors do happen and sometimes found later. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying at all to be a smarty with you but trying to get you to slow down and back up some and also to see if you are familiar with it any. Some of our resident guru's give good advice but you seem to not think it so when give. Pootle is good at this and gave you a good tip on CheckBoxes. Also so did others on your other post the other day ago. People are scratching their heads and trying hard to help you, but you need to have some understanding of it all.
    Are you in fact going to design this database or is your job going to have someone else to do it? Do you have any of it put together so far and if so, at what point are you exactly? If you could upload your database, without any pertinent data in it for someone to look at that would help a lot. I'll check in later, but for now to sleep. Niters all and the best to you.

BUD zzzzzzzzz

Answers

I do understand basic design of the db, and how to design them. I am now trying to get help with more complex features.

I am trying the suggestions that are being offered by all the guru's to see if they will work for me. All of them are great however some of them are not useable for the database I am designing, but will be for future ones.

It seems tha tI have screwed something up in the database. I keep getting an error no mater what I do as far as a delete, or modify a form. It gives me the same error. I have been modifing the same table, so I am going to delete the table entries, and the form, and start from scratch.

Thanks
    Will Dove