Thread: Import Troubles

Unanswered: Import Troubles

I recently received a bunch of files from a client in a .pd format. (I believe these to be Paradox tables, but have no other information on the data) There is no .db file associated with the .pd files which is what Access looks for when doing a Paradox import. I need to import these tables into an Access DB (any format from 97 - 2007). Any ideas as to how to do this?

I also tried to import these into SQL but wasn't able to get that to work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by elguapogm1
    I recently received a bunch of files from a client in a .pd format. (I believe these to be Paradox tables, but have no other information on the data) There is no .db file associated with the .pd files which is what Access looks for when doing a Paradox import. I need to import these tables into an Access DB (any format from 97 - 2007). Any ideas as to how to do this?

I also tried to import these into SQL but wasn't able to get that to work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in advance.

Its a long shot but try opening the files with notepad. If that works your home free.

just tried it, but it didn't work. I used Uedit and was able to open the file, but there is a lot of symbols (program code) on the file and it is in no consistant format. Thanks for the suggestion

Provided Answers: 19
    Here's a couple of sites with downloadable programs for converting Paradox (yes, .pd is a valid Paradox extension) files to MSAccess (and other) format. They both offer a 30 day demo version that can be purchased for use beyond this limit.

Good Luck!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

thanks for the reply missinglinq, but the links aren't listed. Can you repost them.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 19
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

thanks. I have already looked into those programs but retried thinking maybe I missed something the 1st time through. The problem I'm running into is both programs are looking for files with a .db extension. I do not have a file with this extension, I only have .pd files and 1 .pdd file. I tried to fool the program into opening the pd files, but I receive error messages each time. I did this by changing the extension and importing as .db (this didn't work) and by looking at all files and trying to open the .pd files (also led to an error message)

I'm not familiar with Paradox at all (the only reason I looked into it today was to try to open these files), do you have to have a .db file order to access any of the data?

The way I see it, Paradox creates a .db file (ex: database.db) and then all objects in that database will receive the .pd extension (ex: CUST.pd, TRANS.pd, etc . ). The .db file acts as a roadmap as to how the tables are saved and all relationships, etc. Is this correct? and if so, that would mean that I would have to have the .db file in order to make any sense of the .pd files.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken as I am trying to figure out a program without having the program. It is making this a lot tougher than it probably needs to be.