Unanswered: Anyone know why access sometimes prompts for a variable twice?

Hi all,

about 50% of the time when writing queries with variables i have this problem whereby it prompts you for a variable value twice when the query is run.

anyone know why it does this and why the exact same query in a different mdb only prompts once?

greg

what do you mean prompts for the variable twice? where exactly is this code at? if it is on a form check to see if it is firing under multiple events. if you are prompted from a query, are you using multiple queries each of which prompts for a value?

There's a lot of causes, but only one reason: Access comes across the variable twice while processing the query, therefore, prompts for it twice.

tc

I've run into this problem at various times with a date field and finally discovered simply recreating the query has been more successful than trying to fix it.

D

Hi all,

no the query only has one instance of the variable and no other queries feeding it re

Hi all,

no the query only has one instance of the variable and no other queries feeding it require a variable.

think there is a bug as it worked fin when i rebuilt the qury on dendalee's advice..

guess it's just an anomly. although it's happenend before...

greg

I have read somewhere in MSDN that Access will create multiple queries (hidden) to support a more complicated query when it has to, and that sometimes it will even when the query is not that complicated.

This is generally not an issue, unless things are so big that you start hitting the various ceilings in Access.

If the recreation was identical to the original, than it probably was an anomoly.

tc

Provided Answers: 59
    what are you using the query in, ie what are you atually trying to do whn you see this problem. is it in a recordset, a query, a form?

what is the query you are hitting this problem with?

One of the joys of working with a db is that you issue the SQL command to the SQL parser, but you don't actually know (or even want to know) is how the SQL parser actaully handles the request. Its possible that the JET parser may "just" decide to use a differnet query plan dependant on what columns are indexed or criteria are applied.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton