Unanswered: querying string values

I have a database full of different postcodes, i want the records to be grouped by post code areas, i.e. ST1. To do this in Oracle you would use LIKE '%ST1%'

how is this done in Access? please help

Quote Originally Posted by waylander
    I have a database full of different postcodes, i want the records to be grouped by post code areas, i.e. ST1. To do this in Oracle you would use LIKE '%ST1%'

how is this done in Access? please help
    I guess you mean that in Oracle you would use this to limit the return to specific areas rather than group it by them?

Also - '%ST1%' will also return ST11, ST12, ST13 yes?

Anyhoo - short answer is replace % with * and check out Wildcards in Access help.

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    I guess you mean that in Oracle you would use this to limit the return to specific areas rather than group it by them?

Also - '%ST1%' will also return ST11, ST12, ST13 yes?

Anyhoo - short answer is replace % with * and check out Wildcards in Access help.

HTH
    Poots - Remember that both work in Access, just in different areas ... "%" works for VBA SQL statements and "*" works in the QBE and stored queries ...

As to the original question: You'd wildcard using LIKE "ST1*" or LIKE "ST1%" depending on where it's run from ... Remember (or learn for the 1st time) that a wildcard at the very beginning will pattern match ANYWHERE within the target string ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Provided Answers: 59
    OR.....
    you could of course just turn on ANSI SQL compatability mode and ignore the quirks of Access -JET/SQL in this area at least...
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by M Owen
    Poots - Remember that both work in Access, just in different areas ... "%" works for VBA SQL statements and "*" works in the QBE and stored queries ...
    Good point - though only in ADO. I believe the Lesser Arts (aka DAO) don't use the ANSI wildcards (actually - I more than believe so cause I just tested so I didn't look like a n00b )
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Good point - though only in ADO. I believe the Lesser Arts (aka DAO) don't use the ANSI wildcards (actually - I more than believe so cause I just tested so I didn't look like a n00b )
    I'll take your word for it ... I really don't do any DAO ... Although, I think that with DAO the asterisk is the wildcard ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

thank you very much its working fine now

Provided Answers: 59
    Its a long shile since I used DAO in anger, probably it shows........
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton