Unanswered: securing a database on a server?

When I set all the user names and passwords through the User-Level Security Wizard, all the user names and passwords work just fine on my computer. But other computers on the server don't have to enter a username and password, this only works on my computer and i want it to work for the whole server.
    Thank you

Provided Answers: 59
    did you read the FAQ on adding security to microsoft applications?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/207793/en-us will get you there
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

yep, i have read through it and i couldn't seem to find my problem. i know how the security works, i know how to set passwords, user names, and most of the security i understand. the problem i have is when i send it to the server. the security features all work on my computer but not on anyone elses. for example, when i try and get into the database from my computer, everything works fine, it prompts me for a user name and password. but when someone else trys to access it from the server from a different computer, nothing prompts the user for a user name or password. so they can access the database through the server and not have to put in a password or username. Thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    so you haven't fully read and understood it then.......

access security is based on the workgroup model. to use it you must attach the applciation to a workgroup file. you must attach privileges to thise usergroups

the most likely scenario is that your remote PC's haven't joined the same workgroup (they are probably using the default workgroup that comes with a new installation of access which allows them to do anything as they have administrator rights in that default. you can either force all access PC's to use the same workgroup all the time, or make the users open the applciation using a shortcut that points explicitly to the workgroup to use for that applciation

second you haven't moved the forms and other objects into a specific applicaiton usergroup(s), so the standard workgroup permissionsauthenticates them. In my experrience it also helps if put some code into your startup form toi check that the user is a member of a required workgroup

third yu probably need to delpoy your app as an MDE to ensure the user can't unpick your security.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

yeah...if they're not having to type in a password, they're logging in silently as the admin user and can do basically anything they want if you haven't restricted permissions on the admin user and removed it from the Admins group. check out this pdf on security. it's well written. http://www.geocities.com/jacksonmacd...ssSecurity.pdf

That is what was happening. They were not joined to the same workgroup. Thanks guys!!!!