Unanswered: Security problems with Mdf and ldf Files

Hello!
    I developed database driven VC++ application. I faced a problem, which is "how to protect my database against direct access". E.g. .when i copy data files from one server to another and then using to attach the database to the new server the data base files are opened with out asking password .
    I use MS SQL Server 2000 enterprise Edition as a DBMS and appropriate database.
    I want to make possible to manipulate with data in my database only through my client application.
    1. How do I define SA password and instance name in silent mode of MS SQL 2000 EE installation with Mixed type of Authentication?
    2. If my database be attached to my new instance. Is it possible to copy my database, attach it to another instance and get a direct access to its objects ?
    I appreciate for a help.

Note: Local System Admins will have permissions to connect to the database via windows security.
    You can't password protect the files - unless you use a zip utility or something.
    There is no easy way stop users directly accessing the database - you could encrypt data stored in the tables to discourage users from attempting to access the data directly - I would advise against this though.
    There are few options for copying a database - backup/restore, DTS, detach/copy/attach...
    David Wiseman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA

www.wisesoft.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseman82
    There is no easy way stop users directly accessing the database - you could encrypt data stored in the tables to discourage users from attempting to access the data directly - I would advise against this though.
    Now why in the world would you advise against encrypting data to prevent unauthorized personnel from viewing it?? I have been testing hw, sw, and hw/sw solutions to protect viewing sensitive data. The hw and hw/sw solutions only add a minute amount of latency to the read/write process, even when dealing with thousands and tens of thousands of rows.

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Quote Originally Posted by tomh53
    Now why in the world would you advise against encrypting data to prevent unauthorized personnel from viewing it?? I have been testing hw, sw, and hw/sw solutions to protect viewing sensitive data. The hw and hw/sw solutions only add a minute amount of latency to the read/write process, even when dealing with thousands and tens of thousands of rows.
    I wouldn't advise encrypting all data simply to stop users accessing the data directly rather than through a client application. If information is sensitive - passwords, bank account numbers - Encrypt it!
    David Wiseman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA

www.wisesoft.co.uk