Unanswered: Area Code extract

I have a table with information including 10 dig fax#. I need to extract the area code to seperate field for purposes of using fax software phonebook.

Does every row have a 10 digit phone number? Are there some with only 7? Is this string formatted in a consistent way? If so to the 1st and last question, then write a query with a substring construct (instr or mid or Left) ... Like:

SELECT DISTINCT MID(MyColumnNameHere,2,3) AS AreaCode FROM SomeTable;

This gets you unique area codes
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Thanks for the help...I haven't done much in code lately and knew there was a simple way.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon049
    Thanks for the help...I haven't done much in code lately and knew there was a simple way.
    This can easily be done using the QBE ... Or as you may know it as the Query Builder ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Provided Answers: 59
    if the number of digits in your phone number are inconsistent (ie some include the region (or whatever you guys call the fist 3 diigts in a North American Style phone number then it may make sense to use right, rather than mid that way round you will always get the area code.

eg
    Code:
    left$(right$(<myphonenumber>,7),3)
    ... just pray you never come accross european, and especially British phone numbers
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton