I have searched this forum quite a bit. I can't seem to find what I am looking for.

This is a bizarre problem and I'll do the best I can to explain it.

We have written a custom application with several components. 99% of the components written (approximately 15) need to access SQL. Here are some general "helpful to know" items:

--There is a PC that we call the FCS (Factory Control System) that controls all of the processing for this facility's machinery. It logs things like carriers and their data, etc. Any logging, creating of jobs and processing of parameters involves SQL interfacing. The SQL logs show this machine is pegging the database 5 times per second

--There are approximately 6 other PCs that access some of the same modules as the FCS. These are management modules that generate reports, show records, etc.

--The SQL Server version returned by @@Version is:
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.760 (Intel X86) Dec 17 2002 14:22:05 Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: )

--The hardware is a dual Xeon 2.8GHz with 4GB RAM on a DELL PowerEdge 2650

Everything has been working fine for the last 12 - 14 months. Suddenly, the customer's FCS is getting the error (twice per day) that it cannot find the database specified.

We rebooted the FCS and still had the same problem. Other client PCs are able to access the database without any issues while the FCS is reporting that it can't. Rebooting the FCS did not help. It came up and still couldn't access the database.

We decided to restart the SQL services. Once they came up, the FCS's problem went away.

I have no idea where this problem is coming from. But I can restart the SQL services when it occurs and it will fix the problem every time. If I proactively restart the SQL services twice a day, I will never hear from them. (That is a coordinated restart. I don't rip the rug out from under them.)

Thoughts?