Exclamation Unanswered: Update multiple attendee's at the same time

So I've been looking around and it seems no one has asked this specific question.
    I am using Office 2k3 and yes this IS work related NOT a student assignment! (this is for you M Owen)

I want to be able to click on a Lab/workshop from a list (or a button) and have that ask for a date to check attendance or go to a form that list all the students for that class with check boxes by their name so that I can count them as present or absent and then click one button at the bottom to submit all of those changes at once.

My database has a lab/workshop table, a students table, and an attendance table (not finished as I don't know the direction I want to go with it).

Lab/workshop_tbl
    LWID (PK)
    LWClassID (connects to a table of classes)
    LWProf (Professor teaching the lab)
    LWTutor (the person helping the Prof)
    LWActive (to show active labs only)

Students_tbl
    StuID (PK)
    StuFname
    StuLname
    StuDegree

Attendance_tbl
    ???

I have a form made where I can associate the students with the lab/workshop and when I bring up that lab/workshop it shows all the students.
    I just can't figure out how to show all the students with present/absent boxes and have a date associated with only one submit button at the bottom for all the student (so I can just go down a list and check them off).

I hope I am over looking something really simple!

Thanks for your help, this forum is the best Access forum I have found!

Provided Answers: 1
    Use a subform with unbound controls and a "submit" button in the subforms footer.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I guess I don't know how to make that work. I don't how to make a subform that is not bound yet still display all the students that are part of that lab.

Can you please explain in greater detail how I would go about creating this form and subform?

Anybody else?

Provided Answers: 1
    Not an unbound subform, a subform with unbound controls. The idea is you can populate the value of the controls manually, make changes to the data without altering your live record, then use an event to push the value in your control back to the table.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

A how do you want to format the data?

Do you want a different record for each day for each student, or do we have a single student record with fields for each day?

I will follow the different record for each day/student.

The Attendance table could be;
    AttTransNo Autonumber
    AttClassID
    AttStuID
    AttDate Date()
    AttAttended Y/N

If you have a different record for each student each day, then you could query (ClsStuDat) the Class and student Info for the necessary information based on the class and the correct students for the class. At this point you would query (ClsStuDat) and join it to the attendance table. The syntax for the field AttDate is AttDateate() and AttAttended would be default to Y.

I would assume, you could rate the classes if they were not well attended, you could change the default to N for those (only a joke). Then you would create a form as a "Continuous Forms" under [format][default view]. This will display the data from the second query. I would lay out the Y/N then the student name. When you display the form you will be able to go down the form and check y/n for present.

This is a simple way to start, you can build in any complexity needed from here.
    Good luck

OK, I now understand the structure and how it should be set up. I set mine VERY similar to how you (aqmike) showed it.
    Teddy, how do I submit data to a form that controls aren't bound to? Also, I just want to make sure, the button or what ever that submits the data, will it submit the data for all the students? In case anybody wants to know what I am trying to do, I want it to look like this...

ENGL 150 Prof. John Peterson Tutor Mary Stillman
    West Building 108 Dates: M W F 10:00 - 10:50

Sally Jones 6/13/2006 (checkbox)
    Mike Smith 6/13/2006 (checkbox)
    Kyle Wilson 6/13/2006 (checkbox)
    Beth Adams 6/13/2006 (checkbox)
    .... All the students for that lab

(Submit Button) (Cancel Button)

I have a table with the lab info (see above).
    I have a table with which students are in that lab.
    Session_tbl
    SessionID (autonumber PK)
    LabID (FK to the lab table)
    StudentID (FK to the students table)

I also now have an Attendance_tble
    Attendance_tbl
    AttendID (autonumber PK)
    SessionID (FK session table, this would then also which student)
    Date (the date they were or were not at the lab)
    Present (checkbox)

Sorry for going on and on about this, but it seems I don't know enough about Access to fill in blanks.
    I appreciate ALL the help I can get!

Thumbs up Database is basically working

OK, I got it working. It is a little sloppy right now and I will have to clean that up, but here is the basic database with some sample data included already.
    Let me know what you think.

OK no database, I tried to upload it 5 times and it kept failing Oh well, I tried.

Thanks to all that helped and gave me some knowledge!

if you want to cancle then you will need another step.

The way I suggested you create your data, any changes are live to the data of that session. If you make a change it will automatically update the tables. The act of running the query will create the table rows in the attendance table; you are then only changing the rows. Access is doing all the maintaince at this time.

If you run the data and update 2 of the 4 examples and close all the screens and open the tables directly you will see all 4 will be created and the data on the 2 will be changed. Then change the date in your computer and rerun the data you will have added the second set to your table, and any changes will only affect the new data. As for the form you should be able to use the form wizard to create your initial form in a tabular format. This will give you a screen of rows much like a spreadsheet.

What I do not see or I am missing because I never made to higher education, is how do you determine each class, will you have a different number for the class? Then if class # 1 meets tue & thur @ 10:00 am , could there be another class #1 at any other time like class # 1 mon, wed & fri @ 10:00 am?

If you need to cancel you will have to add an intermediate data table, I would suggest that you get all your data working in the simplest form then start adding the complexity.

Do not give up, you are on the hardest part now, you will see your the efforts start to pay in the near future.

Thumbs up Working upload

OK I think I got the upload to work.
    Check out the Lab Maintanence area and let me know what you think.
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files