Question Unanswered: Connecting Access to Pararadox tables!

OK, I have now been looking for the last 2 days for a way of connecting
    Access to a Paradox table through Access through the default Microsoft Paradox driver. to this time i have had no luck.
    I have read articles about installing the BDE (Delphi) but i dont have it to my disposal. The ODBC version that i have to connect to Paradox goes up to table structure version 5, but i believe the tables that i have to connect to are version 7 as every time i thy this i receive the following error:
    "External table is not in the expected format".

How do i get a hold of the new paradox ODBC driver for access?
    Looking around the internet and "google'ing" i have seen that many people have had this same error, but there is never a conclusion given as to how to resolve the problem.

Many thanks in advance for any help/guidance given.
    Last edited by Paolodg; 06-15-06 at 13:07.

How about thru a DSN???
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Question

Do you mean thru a conn string?

I found the below conn string that would apply, but am unsure as to how to create a DSN from it. do you require special software, or just in a txt file with a specific ext.

Paradox 7.X:

"Provider=MSDASQL.1;Persist Security Info=False;Mode=Read;Extended Properties='DSN=Paradox;DBQ=C:\myDb;DefaultDir=C:\ myDb;DriverId=538;FIL=Paradox 7.X;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=600;';Initial Catalog=C:\myDb"
    Apologies if I’m being dumb, but have not been long in the DB game.

Many thanks in advance for any help provided.
    Last edited by Paolodg; 06-15-06 at 13:07.

DSN: Data Source Name - Setup thru the Control Panel->Administrative Tools->ODBC Sources

Then select the type: File, User, or System

Then you specify the provider and point to the database in question.

What you see in your connection string in Access:

DSN=DSN Name Here;

Question I'm sorry, I dont follow...

Quote Originally Posted by M Owen
    DSN: Data Source Name - Setup thru the Control Panel->Administrative Tools->ODBC Sources

Then select the type: File, User, or System

Then you specify the provider and point to the database in question.

What you see in your connection string in Access:

DSN=DSN Name Here;
    Sorry, but by specifing the provider, do you mean select the appropriate ODBC driver that corresponds to the DB type and within it's config window point to the DB??

Because that is what i have been doing, but the problem is that the listed ODBC driver only goes up to table structure version 5 and i need version 7 to connect to this specific DB.

PS: how do i see my connection string in Access??

Sorry for the dumb questions

Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Paolodg
    Sorry, but by specifing the provider, do you mean select the appropriate ODBC driver that corresponds to the DB type and within it's config window point to the DB??

Because that is what i have been doing, but the problem is that the listed ODBC driver only goes up to table structure version 5 and i need version 7 to connect to this specific DB.

PS: how do i see my connection string in Access??

Sorry for the dumb questions

Thanks again for your help.
    Well I took a look at setting up a Paradox DSN and there is no versioning on the driver ... I may be a generic driver that can work with all versions ... That is something you'll have to investigate if you want.

Why do you need to "see" your connection string? You set up a DSN, put that in your connection object, and do your business ...

Hi, thanks again for your time on this.

The reason why I asked how I can see my conn string is because you wrote:
    "What you see in your connection string in Access:"
    Maybe I took it literally and it wasn’t meant that way

Where I got my DB Version type was from the ODBC setup for Paradox:
    i.e.
    MS ODBC Admin -> System DSN -> Add -> Microsoft Paradox Driver (*.db )

When the ODBC setup for this driver then appears, the following options are presented:

Name:
    Description:

Then under the Database sub heading:

Version: << Here gives you the option of Versions 3 thru to 5 >>

etc... etc...

(I have uploaded a jpg of this setup)

Now, if the Paradox Driver you have, doesn't specify a version that you have to connect to, I would be very interested to know where you got it from (unless you just happen to have it) so that I could also go about getting a copy

The only other thing I can think of, if all else fails, is that connection string for Paradox 7.X I sent earlier in the postings, how can I go about setting that up in Access so that it would be the connection method. Do I have to create a module in VBA? Or is it just not possible?

Many thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ODBC Paradox Setup.JPG  

Hi, thanks again for your time on this.

The reason why I asked how I can see my conn string is because you wrote:
    "What you see in your connection string in Access:"
    Maybe I took it literally and it wasn’t meant that way

Where I got my DB Version type was from the ODBC setup for Paradox:
    i.e.
    MS ODBC Admin -> System DSN -> Add -> Microsoft Paradox Driver (*.db )

When the ODBC setup for this driver then appears, the following options are presented:

Name:
    Description:

Then under the Database sub heading:

Version: << Here gives you the option of Versions 3 thru to 5 >>

etc... etc...

(I have uploaded a jpg of this setup)

Now, if the Paradox Driver you have, doesn't specify a version that you have to connect to, I would be very interested to know where you got it from (unless you just happen to have it) so that I could also go about getting a copy

The only other thing I can think of, if all else fails, is that connection string for Paradox 7.X I sent earlier in the postings, how can I go about setting that up in Access so that it would be the connection method. Do I have to create a module in VBA? Or is it just not possible?

Many thanks again.
    Ah ... I didn't bother to try to MAKE the DSN ... Interesting ... What I'm seeing out on the net is that you need to have the BDE installed to get that driver ...

Hmmm... the BDE...

Thanks for further investigating this issue.

I have also come across this recommendation, but unfortunately when I have tried to download and install the BDE, the install halts and terminates as i do not have Delphi nor Borland C++ installed.

Now, excuse me if I'm being irrational, but doesn't it seem a bit dumb/extreme that you have to purchase software development software to just make a connection to a DB?!

Would you happened to have stumbled across a version of the BDE that would not involve me having to purchase the development software?

Many thanks again for your help on this.

Thanks for further investigating this issue.

I have also come across this recommendation, but unfortunately when I have tried to download and install the BDE, the install halts and terminates as i do not have Delphi nor Borland C++ installed.

Now, excuse me if I'm being irrational, but doesn't it seem a bit dumb/extreme that you have to purchase software development software to just make a connection to a DB?!

Would you happened to have stumbled across a version of the BDE that would not involve me having to purchase the development software?

Many thanks again for your help on this.
    You forget one little thing in your calculation: BORLAND

No one has ever said that they're rational ... Avarice yes, rational no. I believe that the BDE is (and has been for a long time) an integrated part of the SDK and is not available outside of it ...

Check this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230126/

In your case, you're SOLA ... Unfortunately. Access has no support for Paradox 7 thus requiring the BDE.

I'm gonna be childish now... PANTS!!!
    Quite right about the borland thing I was just hoping that someone had already stumbled across this same problem and found a crafty workaround, oh well, i suppose life is not easy!
    If you happen to stumble across anything it would be very much appreciated, but i suppose there is not much further i can go with this, we shall see. however, if i do find something, i will make sure to post it. save the next poor sod having to go through what i have gone through!

Many thanks again for all your help on this M!
    Take care, Regards,
    Paolo

After some further searching and investigation, I got the DataDirect ODBC drivers.
    I have now been able to FINALLY connect to the DB.
    Thank you very much again for your help.

For the rest of you having problems;
    Connecting to Paradox with ODBC:
    http://www.datadirect.com/download/index.ssp

Or try;
    http://www.download.com/3000-2065_4-...ml?tag=sd.EXAF