Unanswered: query to produce result with fields in rows as well as columns (matrix)

I need to form a table/query result that would have a matrix form where the fields will be in columns as well as rows(example below)..also, I need to calculate totals of a given number of values(Again see example). Is it possible to do this with an access query or do I need to use something else. I have no experience whatsoever(this must be pretty evident from my post).

Category I Category II Category III
    Category A sub-category a
    sub-category b

Total for a and b
    Category B

Category C

table populated entirely as shown in the intersection part of Category A and Category I

Quote Originally Posted by avd_1984
    I need to form a table/query result that would have a matrix form where the fields will be in columns as well as rows(example below)..also, I need to calculate totals of a given number of values(Again see example). Is it possible to do this with an access query or do I need to use something else. I have no experience whatsoever(this must be pretty evident from my post).

Category I Category II Category III
    Category A sub-category a
    sub-category b

Total for a and b
    Category B

Category C

table populated entirely as shown in the intersection part of Category A and Category I
    hm....a query cannot form these format that u post above, maybe several queries and then use report to do. This look like a report to me, rather than a query. What do u say?

yeah report is fine. It dosent have to be a query. I just want to extract data in that format...how is immaterial. Please let me know how to do it. I have no clue.